KnitPro Help

Kittaly

Question

So Empress Busy Bee was kind enough to link me to KnitPro but I've got a question I can't seem to fine the answer for.

It says Regular (48w x 64h) does that work out to be the actual size of the work? I'm making and anniversary blanket and want everything to uniform. Is there any way to make them smaller and actually square? Is there something I need to do to the image before uploading.

I was thinking I want 8x8 or 10x10 squares. 48x64 is really too big and not even square.

5 answers to this question

The only way I can see to make it square is to use an editing program and make a square picture in the corner of a white sheet so when you upload it to knitpro it shows a white rectangle with a square of what you want in the corner.  But you may lose a lot of definition of the picture and it would have to be a pretty simple picture

That's the number of stitches.

One of the problems with trying to get perfect squares is that the stitch height is not equal to the stitch width.  And that changes slightly with each persons individual tension.

Have you made a swatch?  I would make a 12x12 swatch and let it rest overnight for shrinkage.  Then measure how many scs it takes to make 10 inches across and how many rows to make 10 inches high.  That will give you an idea of how to adjust the graph to the number of sts/rows that you'll need.

Be sure you pick a square graph output and not a knitting one (knitting stitches aren't as square as SC)

You can end up with a square, or otherwise fiddle with the number of stitches and rows, by amending the margins in the graphic you upload.  If your image is centered in the middle of the graphic, with ample margins, you can choose to only crochet the center x rows and y stitches that contain the image and a smaller margin that will yield a square not a rectangle.

Do not skip the swatch step.  While SC stiches are nearly square, they aren't quite, and you will probably end up with a square that is a few more rows tall than stitches wide.

I've done nothing beyond trying to find free to use images for what I'm looking for and posting here. I'm still very much a novice at this whole crochet thing.

Thank you all for your help. I'll have to get my husband involved since this type of figuring is really more his department. I can follow a pattern and that's it.

There's a couple different questions in your post.

The numbers from the output just tell you how many squares are in the rows and columns.  If you choose to do 1 SC per square, that's will tell you how many rows and how many SC in each row.

How to make it square?  My SC are never square and they are about 20% shorter than wide.  I put the image into Paint and stretch it an extra 20% before using knitpro.  Then the image is less distorted.

Also if you use acrylic yarn, you can stretch it quite a bit and block it into shape. 

Archived