what am I doing wrong? :-(

Dreamingintx

Question

I am having trouble switching from double chains to single ones and keeping my work the same size width ways.

I dont suppose that gives you much to go on but I'm going to post this and keep my fingers crossed that I'll get an answer anyway!!

I would post a picture but one of my dogs kindly ate my crochet this morning because I left it on the coffee table so I have to start over tonight. Maybe he heard me swearing at it :D

Anyway, for now I have a little diagram to show you:

/ \<-- 2nd 3rd, sc rows etc continue to be smaller than my dc rows

/ \ <-- First row of sc's

l l <--My dc's

l l

I know that I am not losing stitches anywhere because I am counting each and every one as I go along and still have the number I'm supposed to have. I know my tension isnt bad now either although you might think that could still be the problem?

I'm also wondering if there there is something I'm doing wrong at the beginning and/or end of my rows? :think

9 answers to this question

:hook When starting a row with a SC (Single crochet) CH1 then work the first SC into the stitch immediately under the CH1 and make sure you work into the last stitch.

:hook When starting a row with a DC (Double crochet) CH3 then DO NOT work into the stitch immediately under the CH3 and make sure you work into the last stitch.

:hook If you are used to working in rounds, as with Granny Squares, the stitches look quite different to when you are doing rows. With rounds, the stitches ar always on the right side facing but when you are doing rows, alternate rows are with the wrong side facing.

:hook Take a good look at your stitches so you can always recognise what you are doing.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Oh Aggie has some awesome rules...I had never heard those! I've "known" how to crochet for 20 years or so (man that makes me feel old...lol), but haven't actually gotten into it until the last few months. So...you could say I'm relatively new to crochet. I bounce between rounds and rows as well as thread and yarn and I have that problem all the time. I just count, count, count! And now I'm saving off Aggies post too.

Vigilant20,

You are but a youngster.

I have been crocheting since I was 7yrs old and I am now 63 so you can work out the years.

I have so much info in my head that it just pops out at the right moment.

I think the main thing my Grandma taught me, which is still imprinted in my mind, is to recognise your stitches so you always know what you are doing next.

For many years, I crocheted and knitted for customers so I have also had a lot of experience which also helps. I owned a woolshop for many years too and ended up designing original knitwear for people.

I must admit that I am very selective on what I make now and if something is too tricky, I find another way to achieve the same end.

Never give up is a good motto, but know when to alter course, so keep crocheting.:hug

Have fun.

Colleen

Archived