Single crochet stitch gone bad

Nancylee02

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to teach myself how crochet and am trying to crochet a simple 4x14 single crochet rectangle. I am using "sugar and cream" 100% cotton yarn and a J sized hook.

As you can see in my picture (though for some reason it came in upside down) my rows are all smooshed together Making a ribbed pattern. I am not just crocheting from the back loop, but am going though both the front and the back loops when I crochet. I try to keep my stitches the same tension- not too tight, but have a sinking suspicion that something is not right and no one to ask/show.

If you could please be so kind and help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you for any help

Nancy

post-66152-0-29037000-1360115071_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

does look diff from sc...Are you sure you are doing american sc? Cause British is a slip stitch, which to me upside down at least, that's what it looks like you are doing, but I could be wrong, and it could be somthing so simple as tension, which is good news, as that will improve in time, as you learn to relax your tension, and enjoy the stitch more. Sorry, wish I could be more help, but you came to the right place, the experts here, will jump in soon, and clear it all up for us!

ha, you must have posted exactl;y before me!

Is it possible you are doing slip stitches?

For single crochet, you insert hook, grab yarn, pull up loop (2 loops on hook), then grab yarn and pull through both loops on hook.

For slip stitch, you insert hook, grab yarn and pull through the loop on the hook.

Others have addressed the Slip Stitch/Single Crochet issues,

It also appears you may not be working into the turning chain at the end of the row, a fairly common occurence especiall for a beginner -

In some places it looks like you may be inadvertently adding stitches

It is tedious but important to count stitches at the end of each row until you get comfortable with "just looking at it"  

Otherwise from what I can see, you had done a rather good job of keeping your stitches even throughout.

Keep at it, it takes time for your hands to learn this or anyother skill, but you seem well on y our way.

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Archived