using "old" pattern, and need help

Hello :) A friend of mine passed on a book to me, with the request for a pineapple tablecloth featured inside. The pattern seems easy to follow, but I am not familar with the materials listed.

The pattern was published in 1983. It calls for "Thirteen 400-yard balls of American Thread Company "Giant" thread".

Can anyone suggest a current yarn/thread on the market that is the same/similar to the American Thread Company's Giant thread?

Thanks a bunch, for any and all suggestions!

I would use a size 20 thread with a 9 hook. Does it give the mm size for the hook or just the number?

I don't know if the older size 9 hooks are the same size as the ones today.

RoseRed is correct, a size 9 steel hook would be more appropriate for a size 20 thread. American thread co. closed their business around 1985. They manufactured yarns as well as sewing and crocheting thread. When compared to threads on today's market, American thread was alot softer. Nowadays the manufacturer's tend to use more sizing. I have done projects in size 10 thread with a 9 hook, but only if I was doing irish crochet motifs and wanted a very tight/stiff product. For a pineapple stitch tablecloth you would want more flexibility and a soft drape, so a 20 would be better. :hook

RoseRed - Thank you for the link. I am bookmarking that! The pattern just called for a size 9 steel hook. I, too, was curious if the hooks sizes have changed over time. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I am going to hope not. :) I have not been crocheting long enough to know. (Also, I checked out your etsy store. Very nice designs!)

HappyOldCro - Thank you for the great information! I have never seen American Thread, and therefore had no idea it was softer. I think a soft drape is better for this pattern. Thank you, thank you.

Now I know what to use for this pineapple tablecloth - time to go shopping. Hooray! :cheer

Sounds like you've gotten everything straightened out, I just had to chime in that your pattern is from 29 years ago, it's not THAT old. Heck I have yarn in my stash that is probably that old :blush

Sometimes there's some slight size variation between brands (then and now undoubtedly) but US hook sizes have been pretty standardized since long before that. Things get a little funky around the 1930s and earlier sometimes for yarn* and hooks, but thread size references seem to be farily constant back to the late 1800s.

*yarn references can get funky just going back a couple of years, they come and go quickly

Archived