no expectations...

Ocer the weekend while stuck in Houston with nothing to do because most everything was closed, I indulged in a little retail therapy. I won an auction for 6 cones of yarn on Ebay for 9.99. Then I saw that the seller had 3 other auctions that did not sell so I offerd her half what she listed for all the yarn. I have 25 pounds of yarn coming and I am trying to maintain my no expectations/no disappointments rule, but the anticipation is off the charts.

I think there are 17 cones or more coming and I can't wait to get started with it all.

16 cones total varying colors. The box was 25 lbs!

Some is boucle, some chenille and some plain, but all soft and either DK weight or finer. I am really excited to let it brew for awhile and see what comes of it.

If anyone knows how to remove the smell of age, I would appreciate it. I imagine I might have to wash or dry clean something after it is made.

All of the yarn sounds wonderful -- and what a productive use of your time! :-)

>> If anyone knows how to remove the smell of age, I would appreciate it. I imagine I might have to wash or dry clean something after it is made. <<

You might try tucking a few of the new Febreeze fabric softener sheets in among the skeins and see if that helps eliminate the odors. Febreeze is normally safe for most fabrics, so I would guess that would go for yarn fibers as well. Congrats on a great buy!

If anyone knows how to remove the smell of age, I would appreciate it. I imagine I might have to wash or dry clean something after it is made.

You can stick a box of baking soda in the box with the yarn. If you use the kind that is made for the refrigerator (with the mesh sides) it is really clean and neat and should absorb most of the strong odor. Then I would just wash as normal after creating something wonderful. If you still have any bright sunny days left where you live, you could lay it out in the sun for an afternoon or two, bringing it inside at night of course.

Archived