Caring for Thread Crochet

dixieredhead

This is a letter I received last week regarding the bleeding of the color from Aunt Lydia's thread. I thought it contained alot of useful info that some might find helpful.

September 19,2005

Ms. Dixie Red Head

Down in the Holler

Backwoods, Alabama

Dear Dixie Red Head:

Thank you for your recent letter. We were sorry to learn that you had experienced difficulty with our Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread.

Rigid quality control standards are maintained at each of our mills in order to ensure that only the highest quality merchandise reaches our customers. Sometimes, however, after the dyeing process, excess dye rests on the outer layers of the crochet thread. Once it is washed for the first time the excess dye is dispersed onto the fabric surrounding it. Usually a few washings in warm soapy water with a gentle liquid detergent such as Orvus or Ivory (which include no bleach or other additives), followed by drying as quickly as possible, will remove the excess dye.

Cold water washing or spraying are not recommended as it promotes color migration. Do not hang to dry. Rather, lay flat to dry or machine dry. Ironing when damp is also acceptable, but do not use steam. Steam pressing can also cause color migration.

We are aware of the time that it takes to crochet a project such as yours and can certainly sympathize with your distress. We are shipping a replacement for the Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread under separate cover. It is being sent directly from our Distribution Center; please allow three to four weeks for delivery.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Sincerely,

Ann Blalock

Manager, Consumer Information

Thanks for sharing! I wash everything in cold due to my fear of the bloody washing machines shrinking everything that I own (has happened due to a faulty temperature regulator which basically boiled my clothes from a large to an extra small....could not even fit my foot into those pants! :lol ) but might need to find a happy medium to avoid the bleeding of the colors.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest airbudsy

Hi,

Just letting you know that I too have had two beautiful items ruined with Aunt Lydia's red. The first time I was using warm water. The second time I used cold. I think it's going to bleed no matter what. I haven't tried washing it out, but I'm not hopeful.

The only threads I've found that do not bleed are Cebelia and Opera, more expensive but well worth it. The only drawback is that there is a limited range of colors, for example, no dark brown, no orange, no variegated.

This is a letter I received last week regarding the bleeding of the color from Aunt Lydia's thread. I thought it contained alot of useful info that some might find helpful.

September 19,2005

Ms. Dixie Red Head

Down in the Holler

Backwoods, Alabama

Dear Dixie Red Head:

Thank you for your recent letter. We were sorry to learn that you had experienced difficulty with our Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread.

Rigid quality control standards are maintained at each of our mills in order to ensure that only the highest quality merchandise reaches our customers. Sometimes, however, after the dyeing process, excess dye rests on the outer layers of the crochet thread. Once it is washed for the first time the excess dye is dispersed onto the fabric surrounding it. Usually a few washings in warm soapy water with a gentle liquid detergent such as Orvus or Ivory (which include no bleach or other additives), followed by drying as quickly as possible, will remove the excess dye.

Cold water washing or spraying are not recommended as it promotes color migration. Do not hang to dry. Rather, lay flat to dry or machine dry. Ironing when damp is also acceptable, but do not use steam. Steam pressing can also cause color migration.

We are aware of the time that it takes to crochet a project such as yours and can certainly sympathize with your distress. We are shipping a replacement for the Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread under separate cover. It is being sent directly from our Distribution Center; please allow three to four weeks for delivery.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Sincerely,

Ann Blalock

Manager, Consumer Information

• 2 months later...

Don't know if you've solved the bleeding of color yet, but, wanted to add this:

Retayne, a brand name color fixative is for use on cotton fabrics.

Synthrapol, by the same company (G & K Industries, in Somerset, MA) is cleaner used "for hand-dyed fabrics, in dye baths for even dye results, use before dyeing to remove sizing, and to remove excess dye from hand-dyed fabrics".

Archived