:( Doily trouble

Yarnmistress

Question

I don't think I am meant to do thread crochet. :( I am having the hardest time with this stupid doily that I have been working on. It doesn't look like the pattern at all. I'm through round 7 (finally figured out why it was twisting) and I'm just haveing trouble with the whole thing. I'm not sure if it is because I am so use to working with thicker/larger yarn or if the intricate details is what is getting me.

After half a round, my hands start to get sore and my eyes just hurt so much. Is that normal? I really want to finish it, but I am getting so frustrated. Any sugestions?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

I had that same problem a while back! It actually turned into tendonitis and I had to stop crocheting for a couple of weeks. In my case I think it was a combination of a couple of things: 1-I was holding the hook in a death grip. I bought a different hook (an INOX) that had a larger handle so that I could relax my grip a bit. 2-I really think the pattern I was working on was causing some of it as well. The pattern is so beautiful I will go back to it at a later time, but it was just too much for me right now. With the new hook and a different doily pattern, I am now crocheting away and don't have the same problem. I also take more breaks than with yarn patterns and stretch out my hand.

The very first line of defense is a CHOCOLATE break! That will help you to think clearer. If that doesn't work (can't imagine it not) try an ice cream break.

I'm new to doilies myself. My first one turned out decent. But my second attempt at a different pattern just didn't work. I frogged it several times before I finally decided to try something else. That was the cure for me! I seem to be able to read some patterns better than others. You might want to try a different doily pattern, too.

Best wishes to ya!:)

You might try getting a pair of reading glasses from the drug store, get the lowest magnification you can get, if you do not usually use glasses. This may help with the eye fatigue. Thread does take more concentration and because it is smaller, depending on the size you are using, your eyes may benefit from the extra magnification.

As for your hands getting tired, is it your whole hand or just the ones you have the thread wrapped around? If it is your whole hand you might try wrapping the thread in a different manner to maintain tension (maybe 2 wraps around a finger instead of one?). I have seen a guide that you can wear on your finger to guide the thread and avoid it cutting into your finger, but can't find the website now.

I'm having the same problem. I went up to row 20 and realized somewhere I made a mistake. I went back to row 14 where I THINK I made the mistake. :( I'm going to let a few days go by before I start up again with my doily. Hope you have better luck.

Archived