100% cotton yarn - Good for Hats?

becca_maria

Ok, last question from this aussie for the day!!! So the only cotton yarn i can get where i live is 50% acrylic 50% cotton. Is this type ok for crocheting hats? I normally use acrylic which i find stretch to shape then go back. Does cotton do this? It seems to just stretch out but not go quite back into shape. I am looking at making an order from America and it seems the cotton to use is Lily sugar n cream. Would this be advisable?

Man, I have no idea but I sure hope its ok because I totally just made 2 hats for my nieces out of Sugar 'n Cream! I'm still pretty new to this so it never occurred to me that that might not be the best yarn choice until after I finished them both!

a hat can be made out of pretty much any yarn. I have used acrylic and cotton both. Many cancer patient hats I make for summer are cotton as they can be cooler in summer heat. I like making bucket type hats with cotton, but I've made banded hats as well with out problems.

HTH!

You can use cotton yarn for anything that you would use ww yarn for. I have made doll clothes with this and a couple of decorations like pumpkins and such. I even use this to make my totes.

It is easier to take care of and wears like iron, I have found anyway.:hook

I have some 100% cotton yarn that I'm going to be making into hats in the coming days, actually. I have been told that it makes super soft hats and I'm making them for cancer patients. I've also been told that it makes the hats warmer.

Personally though, I'll make hats out of whatever I happen to have on hand. I have quite a bit of cotton yarn right now and I've been asked to make some hats for the local cancer center, by on the of the customers who comes into where I work. My grandfather is also losing his battle with brain cancer, so making the hats right now means so much to me.

I've got half of a lapghan done in pure cotton too, which is making a very heavy blanket! I'm making it for an upcoming charity event. I'm not sure how frequently I'll be making them out of pure cotton again :)

Archived