frogging a sweater--how to wash?

Reba

Question

I think this post should go here. . . I'll eventually be using the yarn for crochet, but just ask me to move it if it needs to be.

I bought a sweater today for the purpose of frogging it for yarn, and as I bought it at goodwill I have to wash it (ich, it's smelly!). Usually when I wash sweaters I just soak them in the sink with some soap for a while, and then lay them out flat to dry.

This sweater's a handknit made of 80% acrylic, 10% angora rabbit hair, 5% wool, and 5% nylon. I know that it won't felt unless it's 100% wool, but I just want to make sure before I start that I won't screw it up/make it harder to frog.

Any tips? Thanks!

6 answers to this question

It says it's dry clean only (eesh, guess I shouldn't have bought it then), does that change anything?

I've tried that tutorial for frogging sweaters a few times; I really like it, even though most of the times I try it I end up with my floor covered with foot-long lengths of yarn that I eventually have to throw away. Still, perserverence!

I have done sweaters that said dry clean only in my machine on hand wash cycle (mine has one), cold water and lay flat to dry across a drying rack.

I would try that. You could use that Dry-All (or whatever it is called) the dry cleaning at home kit. You add the sweater to the bag that comes with it, add a special treated sheet, that also comes with it and toss in in your dryer.

I would still try the washing it, what have you got to lose?

Most sweaters that are labelled "dry clean only" can, at the very least, be hand washed in cool water and laid flat to dry. I suspect the manufacturers put that care instruction in there because of the fools that will otherwise toss it in the machine with the jeans and put it through the whole rough cycle, all the way through the dryer phase. Quite often, sweaters that end up at goodwill are there because of a laundry mishap from not following instructions, or just generally not knowing the proper way to handle them. The most common variety I've seen are the chenille sweaters that were mindlessly tossed in the dryer - and came out half as long as they went in! :eek:lol

I have successfully washed many a "dry clean only" sweater.

OMG! i was sooo totally looking for this! thank you so much.

reecie

I would either hand wash is mild soap (like Woolite) and lay flat to dry or machine wash on gentle cycle.

How To Unravel a Sweater

This is a great tutorial on unraveling sweaters.

Archived