Ouch -- Crocheter's thumb?

CrochetKitty

Question

Has this happened to anyone else?

I woke up one morning and discovered I couldn't bend my left thumb. I eventually figured out I could bend it if I pressed below the joint with my other thumb. After "wiggling" it this way for a few minutes, I'm able to move it normally.

It's been this way for more than a month. Any ideas how/why it happened, or how to keep it from happening?

15 answers to this question

Uhm, weird as it sounds...try limbering up before you crochet. I know that there are finger exercies for certain instruments, maybe you could find some instructions on-line and try them out. And take regular breaks to do those exercises. Let us know how you handle it and how it turns out.

I had a similar problem this summer after some heavy-duty crocheting.

What helped was to pull up gently with the other hand, holding it in that position, repeating it with increasing force. Each time you need to hold it in that position for several seconds.

See if it works for you.

Uhm, weird as it sounds...try limbering up before you crochet. I know that there are finger exercies for certain instruments, maybe you could find some instructions on-line and try them out. And take regular breaks to do those exercises. Let us know how you handle it and how it turns out.

That is always a good idea for prevention, but it may not get results once you have a problem.

I have the same problem, except that it is with my elbow. If I have been doing some full on crochet, my elbow gets really sore and hurts to bend. I actually went to the doctors about it, and she has now told me that it was like a repetitive strain injury. I suppose when you are sitting down watching tv and crocheting away to your hearts content, you are not really moving your arm out of a bended shape. So basically now I have to take rests every hour or so and straighten my arm out. Good luck

I've had to start wearing a wrist band at night because my wrist is what gets a workout when I crochet. My Dr. told me wearing it at night should slow down CTS... I can't imagine what I'll do if I have to have the surgery. Not being able to use my hands for my hobbies for months. I would go insane!

I have the same problem, except that it is with my elbow. If I have been doing some full on crochet, my elbow gets really sore and hurts to bend. I actually went to the doctors about it, and she has now told me that it was like a repetitive strain injury. I suppose when you are sitting down watching tv and crocheting away to your hearts content, you are not really moving your arm out of a bended shape. So basically now I have to take rests every hour or so and straighten my arm out. Good luck

I had a problem with my elbow as well. I first noticed it when was sitting on the floor and tried to push myself up with my hand; the elbow gave way quite painfully. I got an elbow brace and wore that for a few weeks. It's okay now.

donnalynn: So would I!

I can identify with that too. My thumb hurts almost all the time, even while I sleep. I wiggle my thumb a lot to keep it flexible. The only thing I can do to get relief is to put down the hook for a few days. AND, I hate having to do that.

Archived