starching a doily?

ginaj

i am making a doily and it says to spray starch it any advice on what kind to use?and how to do this?i have used 1/2 glue 1/2 water as a stiffiner before but this one says spray starch.i have never tried this.thanks for any advice

Personally I would stick to what you currently use if you are happy with it. There is also StaFlo which is a liquid starch that you can mix up much like you do the glue mixture. The spray starch can be found at big box stores or the grocery store on the laundry aisle. I have used spray starch on uniforms and it isnt as stiff as liguid starch.

Hope that helps

Elizabeth

I use Easy On's spray starch. I used to use Easy On's Double Starch spray starch, but found it made my doilies just a little too stiff for my liking. Both of these starches wash out completely clean each time you wash your doily, so you'll have to reblock & starch. I love spray starches ... just so fast & easy! :tup

I prefer not to starch anything that I do in crochet unless it would be a stand-up type of finished pattern. I just wash the doily in the sink and use dishwater soap, get the towel out, lay the doily down flat on the towel and stretch it out by hand. I never use fabric softener as it makes the thread weak and the doily doesn't look as nice. I have been doing this for years, and the doily always lays flat.

Spray Starch can be found at your local grocery store / walmart / target etc by the laundry detergents - there are many different brands. It comes in large metal upright cans. Very easy to use for projects that need to be lightly starched.

Like Stacey, I dampen slightly my item, block it out with pins and then spray it with the starch. I will sometimes use my fingers to "rub" it into the thread around the pin areas (i.e. the picots)

Archived