ColorScope / Kaleidoscope-viewer

Stitchinpick

Did you see the ColorScope viewer in Annie's Attic catalogue? It is a little kaleidoscope viewer that you look at your different colored yarns through to get an idea of how the colors will look all mixed up together. It is also sold to quilters to see the different fabrics all mixed up.

http://www.anniesattic.com/quilting/detail.html?prod_id=17483

It is a super cleaver idea, in theory! Has anyone tried it? How cool is that if it works!

I have a hard time with imagining my colors together. :blush Once I started a baby ghan with a light purple, light sage, and white. That sounds pretty right? Well the purple was just a teeny bit too dark and it did not look good at all. I stopped working on it half way through. I didn't throw it away though, I gave it to my 2 cats. (What do they know about color.)

Stitchinpick

I saw it and I'm ordering two of them. Although I've never thought about using them for the purpose specified in the catalog (although I will give that a try now). The correct name for that item is really a teleidoscope. It works like a kaleidoscope, except that instead of having bits of plastic or other items inside it, it is just mirrors, and then a clear marble on the end. My son gave me a very nice wooden one for Mother's Day a few years ago and I loved using it to look at everyday things and just see the beauty of the repeated patterns. I let my 6 year old grandson use it and he loves it too. So one is for him and the other is just a spare. Believe it or not, I have been looking all over the internet for an affordable one. It appears that the teleidoscope is a collecter's item. Shhhhh, don't tell Annie.

I had a whole bunch of these when my kids were younger. I bought them in the toy section of the dollar store. They had all different kinds with different shapes. I recommended them to customers when I worked at a fabric store for quilting. I think I saw one at Walmart in the quilting section the other day too.

Archived