extending sleeves with crochet! help!

half_pint

Question

A while ago i knitted a bolero, the sleeves finish just above the elbow, and it really needs something more! so i have come up with the idea of making the sleeves full length with a crocheted lace stitch. ( i am not sure how it will come out, but you never know!) I have tried the shell, ch2 etc ruffle, but it started to get to wide too soon, (if you see what i mean!) I want it to flare out when it gets to the wrist, but, i think if it starts to flare out to high up, by the time it gets to wrist length, the flare will be too big, and it wont look right! I am also going to give it a ruffled collar as well. I hope that this makes sense, i have tried to explain it as best i can! If anyone could give me some ideas and/or tips, i would be really greatful!:think:D:clap many thanks in advance!

bethxx

8 answers to this question

I saw this in a book recenly, and thought it was deliciously cute, it's a motif called a Strawberry and it's basically just a very small Pineapple motif but it's so darling and I think that it would look FANTASTIC in a sleeve, and then with the shells you were describing at the end to create the flare you want.

SLEEVES?!?!?!? :eek No, I'm no good at sleeves. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a bolero.:think Thank you for your wonderful compliment. :hug

That sounds great, the flared sleeve is all the rage.....someone like Dot probably knows how to make the sleeve, she's a great designer http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com/

:sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump I love these skipping sheep.

PM me and I may be able to help.

I would need to know how wide the sleeves are, how much longer you need them to be, the size of the yarn and the hook you wish to use. I may not recognise the yarn so if you can put the recommended tension and needle size which should be printed on the yarn label

I imagine a simple trellis type stitch for a few inches with the flair at the wrist, with a nice shell pattern.

Similar can be done for the collar.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Hey Aidan... do you remember what book you saw the Strawberry in? I'd love to check that out...

Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet It's a really good book just to read, the tapestry section is particularly intruguing.

Half Pint,

:think :think :think

I have worked out a pattern for you but need to know just one more thing.

How many knitted stitches are there at the end of the sleeve which you need to extend? You sent me the measurement, but I should have asked for the stitch number too.

I have worked out a pattern with 3 rows of SC :hook :hook :hook (or do you use the English DC? Let me know that too so I can word it for you.), then a V stitch pattern, then a Pineapple inspired frill which is not too frilly.

Looks good so far , but to write the pattern out, exactly, for you, I need to know the stitch numbers.

Thanks a lot.

Colleen:hug :hug :hug

Archived