Glad I found this forum-woooohoooo

Crochetangy

Question

Ok ladies,

I am a newbie teaching myself and my daughters 8 & 10. We have been at for about 4 months. They are loosing interest:) but I am plugging right along. The things I can do to yarn...I it's is just too hilarious.

I have had to stop and take a breather and come to the pros...I think I have the basics down SC,DC,TR,DBTR,FP,BP. My tension is hit or miss.

I have made fun fur scarves, they hide mistakes really well.

Can anyone recommend any easy patterns or books that start you from the basics and move you along to the more difficult stuff?

Also, how can I book mark this page so I can find it again? I think I need to stick around here for awhile.

Angy in South Carolina

10 answers to this question

put the addy into your favorites:

click on your favorites button on your toolbar, click add, and a box comes up with the name crochetteville in it, you can change the name or leave it and then hit ok. to find it again, pull up your internet and hit favorites on the toolbar and it should be there. that's how i get here.:)

a for books....granny squares are realatively simple.. the name of one book i have is ( it is a leisure arts leaflet) granny's delight afgans, project 5

Might I suggest the 63 squares book?? Each square teaches you a new stitch, and when you're all done, you've got an afghan. Plus, there's an ongoing Crochet-Along using that pattern here at C'Ville, so when you get stuck, you can always come to the board and someone will be able to answer your questions.

Lots of the Learn to Crochet books are good too... Check out ones by Pauline Turner or Jan Eaton. Crochet School and The Encyclopedia are also both great references.

Hi Angy,

To bookmark, starting from the home page of Crochetville, click on 'File' in your browser's toolbar, highlight 'Send' & click on 'Shortcut to Desktop' and you will have a direct link right on your desktop.

As for moving along into the more difficult stuff, I can only tell you what worked for me (self-taught, too): practise, practise, practise. Go ahead & experiment with all kinds of stitches and if you see patterns that say they are for advanced or expert, go ahead & try those advanced patterns. You may be surprised that you know enough to get through it.

Have fun experimenting! :hook

just wanted to say not to give up on the kids.my mom taught me to crochet when i was around 6 .i never used it but know i am so glad she did.teaching my kids know and though they are not to interested i'm sure someday they will be glad they know how

Thank you Sissy, for the advice. You are right, practice is the only way I am going to get better. I went back and took a look at my beginning projects...the ones that I couldn't get the hook through the stitches after the 3rd row, and I guess I will have to give myself a little credit. I do have finished projects to show off my progress :D. Another thing too is I need to stop looking ahead and setting my sights on afghans and things like that and concentrate on mastering the small things first. To be honest I am finding a lot of satisfaction in the small things. Oh, one more thing, I made a pair of earrings with thread the other night that came out perfect!! How the heck did that happend? I don't like working with thread and the pattern appeared, at first glance, to be difficult but I was able to get thru w/very little frogging.

Also, I must say I am happy I found online support because being able to ask questions speeds things along, rather than racking my brains trying to figure it out on my own.

Thanks a bunch for the incouragement.

As for the girls. I got them a knitting loom, they love it. so they will do that for now.

Hi Gina,

As I mentioned to SissyMamma, I got the girls a loom kit. It is easier and a whole lot of fun for them. For the crochet I don't think I had the right projects for them. I got them a teen book on afghans and a chick of filled with headbands and scarves and they love it! So I think they will probably stick with it if I can get things more age appropriate.

I learn a little every day:clap

Angy, so glad you found us, this really is a great forum for crochet and advice on just about everything.......do stick around you can really learn alot :D

I also wanted you to know we aren't all ladies on this forum, we have quite a few crochet guys :hook

Thanks Ginaj for reminding me about men on forum. I know they are here, none have introduced them self to me that is why I am always addressing the women. At least now I can invite my 17 year son to join us more often. He asked me last weekend if I could show him how to crochet...then he jokingly said "it's just not for girls is it?" I said of course not! Even my twins know cwo-chay. Give'em a hook I bet they could show me athing or two :lol

My son did sit still long enough to learn how to do the foundation chain.

Gotta keep him interested:manyheart

Archived