seraphina help for beginner

superfurry

Question

hi i'm new and would really appreciate any help you can give :)

i'm 6 rows into the seraphina shawl and i *think* i've done it right so far but it isn't doing the 'batwing' thing, it's pretty much straight along the top edge.

i hope it's okay to post pics directly into threads, pleas let me know if not.

43493735_e6e226f3ed.jpg

i'm using lace/fingering weight handspun yarn and a 3.5mm hook (sorry don't know how that translates into us sizes). the yarn is very springy (it's 100% coopworth) and i'm wondering whether that might somthing to do with it? or is it a tension problem?

like i say i *think* i've followed the pattern right, though sometimes it feels as though in the places you have to skip stitches i have to skip more than she says (i'm using the instructions here).

so my questions are a) does it look like i've done something wrong? b) does it actually matter that it's straight across the top? it's so it doesn't slip off your shoulders isn't it? and c) if it's not something i'm doing wrong can anyone suggest an alteration to the pattern that would make it more batwingy?

many thanks in advance, soph

17 answers to this question

thanks for all the extra links, they're really helpful.

i wish i had spun the yarn myself jenuine226, but no, i bought it on etsy, from PhoenixFiberWorks. tina is great to trade with, really friendly and efficient. etsy is absolute heaven for handspun yarn, i'm only thankful that many sellers don't ship overseas (i'm in the uk) otherwise i'd be destitute by now :D

Oh my goodness....what have you done to me? I'M going to be destitute now:eek :rofl Did you see all that yarn????:drool

Add me to the list of confused Seraphina shawl hookers.:think I love the yarn, but I have trouble seeing the stitches. That's the reason I avoid Homespun. I love it, but it drives me crazy.

I so do NOT recommend Homespun for the first time you do this shawl if you think you will be confused by the pattern. Use something where you can see your stitches. I tried it first in Homespun and gave up I was so frustrated I was almost :cry ! Then I bought some RH Plush and tried that and it went a lot better. (Just more :2c from me!)

That's wonderful =) Do keep in mind that you'll go through more yarn in fewer rows as the shawl grows. It'll seem like the first ball or two goes far, but the next ones don't seem to add much to your overall size.

The one I pictured before (the striped one) I used recycled sweater yarn so I've no idea how much yarn I used. I made another using LB Wool Ease and I used four balls for a shawl that was about waist length on my 5' self.

Add me to the list of confused Seraphina shawl hookers.:think I got so frustrated that I put it away, but not out of mind. I'm considering trying it with a regular, non-fuzzy type yarn instead of Rainbow Boucle. I love the yarn, but I have trouble seeing the stitches. That's the reason I avoid Homespun. I love it, but it drives me crazy. When I'm crazy , I don't enjoy what I'm doing.

BTW, it doesn't take much to confuse:confused this Senior mind.:lol

thanks so much for all the help. i'm up to row 14 now and it's batwinging like a dream :) as soon as i started getting into the repeat i could visualise the pattern much easier. whoever said to go from the photos rather than the written instuctions had it spot on, that helped loads.

but sadly i've realised that i just don't have enough yarn to complete the project :( i have 1000+ yards but it's just being eaten up in the intricate pattern. i've contacted the spinner in case there's any chance of getting some more but i don't hold out much hope.

i guess i could redo it using a massive hook, but i think the guage is about right now - what do you guys think, could it work?

I'm in the process of making a Seraphina shawl too (although I might adapt it, make two pieces, and create a poncho--not sure yet), and I found that her pattern leaves off the ending V-stitch after the first three rows. I had the same problem you did and needed to frog a couple of rows. Once I started adding the ending V-stitch at the end of each row, I was okay.

If you look at the pattern (http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/croshawl.html), you'll see that she includes:

"Repeat from * to * once, then V-stitch in 3rd chain of beg chain from previous row"

or "(dc, ch 1, dc) [that's the V-stitch] in 3rd chain of starting chain from previous row,"

in rows 1 thru 3, but then doesn't include that part in the subsequent rows. At first I thought that was intentional, but then saw the problem with the top edge. When I included the ending V-stitch even where the pattern did not include it, it seemed to work out correctly.

Hope this helps,

Lee

thanks for all the extra links, they're really helpful.

i wish i had spun the yarn myself jenuine226, but no, i bought it on etsy, from PhoenixFiberWorks. tina is great to trade with, really friendly and efficient. etsy is absolute heaven for handspun yarn, i'm only thankful that many sellers don't ship overseas (i'm in the uk) otherwise i'd be destitute by now :D

That pattern was confusing to me also, maybe just the way that she worded it and I felt that she left some things out in the directions that you were supposed to do every round. Check out those links posted, because they helped me. Once you get going, you'll understand how the pattern works and will get the sequence down just fine. It's a beautiful shawl when done, and I'm :drool over the yarn you are using, it's going to make a gorgeous shawl. Hang in there, it gets better! Can't wait to see a picture when you finish!

A lot of people here have made that shawl and shared their tips and tricks. Check out these posts for more help...

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5425&highlight=seraphina

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8088&highlight=seraphina

I love this pattern. Someday I will make my own.:)

thanks so much for the quick replies!

i've got the v-stiches at the end of the rows, it's just a little hard to see them in the pic. i've gone over the 6-row pic with a fine tooth comb again and i'm pretty sure it's right.

thanks for the reassurance MarvieN, i will keep plugging away and let the pattern work it's magic. i've never been known for my patience :) i couldn't wait to start on this even though i have a mountain of WIPs i should be doing. oh and your shawl is beautiful, i love the stripes.

thanks again, this place rocks.

I agree with Dot, the pictures were a huge help to me too. There are a couple of places where the written instructions are unclear (or maybe incorrect) but following the pictures will get you through that part.

I've made several of these shawls, you will get the wing part =) It builds up, so be patient! I adore my seraphina, and yes it does lay beautifully on your shoulders =)

The beauty of her pattern is that you can use any hook/yarn and it will still work out since you just keep adding rows till it's the size you want it =)

Here's a pic of mine:

my.php?image=myshawlwince7tn.jpg

It starts out looking flat across the top, but you will get the shape as you work.

It's been a long time since I've done this pattern, so I can't say if you've done something wrong or not, but it looks like you're missing something at the beginning and end of the rounds. Take a look at her pictures and read the information she has written there. I do remember that I had to follow her captions on the photos a lot If you're just reading the instructions and not the captions, you may run into trouble.

Archived