Yarn = thread????

Ok I have a strange question here.

What thread can be equilivant (same) as finger (size 1, sock) yarn?

I want to make something, but it calls for size 1, super fine or sock yarn. The stores here have a limited choice of yarn color, so I was wondering what size thread I can use instead:think

i just looked it up...size 10 cotton beleive it or not...i found this here when i searched for the size you are looking for. if you can look real close at the ball band it is size 10 cotton and the site lists it as a size 1 yarn.

i just looked it up...size 10 cotton beleive it or not...i found this here when i searched for the size you are looking for. if you can look real close at the ball band it is size 10 cotton and the site lists it as a size 1 yarn.

That's pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.

:manyheart

I've actually gone in the opposite direction. I can't work with thread and I have used the size 1 (sock) yarn for the size 10 cotton for doll's clothes. It isn't "quite" the exact exchange, but I've been able to improvise for certain things.

Actually, size 10 thread is a 0 weight, not 1, according to the yarn standards http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

I have just been working with sock yarn and it is quite a bit bigger than size 10 thread. Also very different as far as drape. If you use the thread, your FO will be smaller and stiffer, or if you use a bigger hook it will be really lacy. So depending on what you are making, that might or might not work;)

Thank you all, I will have to think about this.

I am planing to make this bride & groom it calls for size 1 fingering yarn. I would prefer to use thread. Just wasn't sure if size 3 or 5 would work.:hook

Ironically I never bought that book because it lists size 10 thread on the cover and I hate having to play with the thread to yarn game unless I have to for my niece's Barbies. I may think about it if they do call for fingering yarn. :lol:lol

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/little-groom-tuxedo-for-5-inch-berenguer-baby-doll

Listing on ravelry for groom outfit, says she used size 3 thread. If it is the same as in the book, it is shown as being on her site only.

Pretty confusing to say size 10on the cover, weight category 1 in the patterns! Then ravelry notes are different again ....IF the pattern is the same, looks like it to me from the photos.:think

• 4 weeks later...

I use sport yarn, and baby yarn .

I love to knit socks and have used baby yarn; people I have given them to say they love it.

I use any yarn that is the same weight as sport yarn or baby yarn.

Archived