Yarn Party!

Hey everyone!

I am going to have a yarn themed party for my birthday, and I am struggling to come up with food/games/decorations. I was hoping all you creative people could help me some. Going to have spaghetti as the main meal I think since it is yarn-ish but that's really as far as I've gotten. I have about 5 weeks, so time to make some decorations if I need to. Also, I crochet, not knit.

Thanks!

You could eat with hooks, like we do with chop sticks. That would probably be quite funny. I guess the hooks would have to be metal or plastic so they can be cleaned properly.

I'd make a table centerpiece of a small pile of balls or skeins of your favorite colors of yarn. Have a hook or 2 sticking out, and a couple little other items to complete the look, like some yarn markers and a small pair of scissors or measuring tape.

You could make yarn chains to drape across windows and doorways (if you have high doorway openings). I think numerous colored chains for each one could be quite pretty. They'd be fast, easy, and inexpensive to make.

Different colored coasters around the table would be pretty.

Of course, everyone should bring gifts of yarn for you!

How about cake balls dipped in different colors of white chocolate...so they look like little balls of yarn?

Also, those Pull and Peel Twizzlers licorice....they come in several different colors/flavors...you could pull them apart, and put them willy nilly in a bowl as a candy treat.

You could do a game similar to the ol' clothespin in a bottle, but use crochet hooks to drop in instead :)

Ooh, great idea. I thought at first we were all going to buy yarn and play with it to celebrate but your idea is terrific.

If you want to make yarn themed food items too, you can check out a couple of books. One is Yummi'Gurumi by Christen Haden and Mariarosa Sala, also Twinkie Chan's Crochet Goodies for Fashion Foodies and Tasty Crochet by Rose Langlitz.

LI Roe

Put balls of yarn in clear glass bowls or vases around as decoration.

Make a yarn wreath (either balls or yarn, or wrap a wreath foam with a particular yarn and decorate with small balls or yarn flowers).

You could make cookies shaped like socks and decorate with different colored stripes or solids, to mimic our crocheted socks.

For games: how about buying a few different single skeins of yarn, take the wrapper off, and then have people guess what yarn it is (maker, or fiber, or whatever)--winner gets to keep the yarn!

• 4 months later...

- ask everyone to bring you yarn as a gift

- you can play a game similar to what they play at baby showers, where no one can say the word "yarn" for a period of time (like during dinner or for the first half of the party or something like that)... instead of giving away the pasifier around their neck, they would have to give away a daisy chain necklace

- you can make strings out of fruits and veggies/ julliane them and have them for snacks

- string cheese

- if you have lots of fellow crocheters there, you can have a granny square making contest for speed

- you can wear crochet hooks in your hair (like you would put sticks in your hair if it were in a bun)

- party favors could be coasters (plenty of online patterns, including ones that look like flip-flops)

- you could have a pattern exchange for one of the games, like a "Elephant Christmas Exchange", with everyone bringing 2 copies of the patterns they bring so you can have a copy of all of the patterns when the game is through (no matter what pattern you end up with)

I can't wait to hear what all you decide to use and how the party planning is going :) Keep us posted!!!

Oh... another thing to add --- Have everyone bring a scarf or a hat that could be donated to a charity of your choice! It would be a great way to pay it forward and bless your local community :)

I'm totally in love with all of the ideas posted on here - makes me want to have one for my birthday in 2 weeks.

Archived