Crochet/yarn party ideas

I would like to have a party with some friends of mine but I'm not sure what all I should plan for it. I would like some games to go along but I don't know what kind, lol. It's basically a party where you come and make what you want with yarn (and yarn swap for those who already have yarn) and to get to know each other better.

Any ideas? :D

Is this a party for people who already know how to crochet? I recently saw a video on you tube to crochet a tiny "coin purse" to hook onto a bag or purse. It close with a button. It's adorable too. I can't remember the persons' name but you could prob search for the coin purse. Good luck with whatever you do at your party, sounds like a fun idea!

I know one crochets, although she's just getting back into it but as far as I know none of the others do. See, I had a jewelry making party last year and all that were invited had never made jewelry before but they really enjoyed it. So since I've been in a crocheting mood I thought I would have a yarn/crochet party. If they crochet, knit, weave then they can bring what they want to work on. If none of them have any experience then they can try it out or... they can watch, LOL. I thought about getting out my knitting looms too, since (imo) it would be easy to do.

If it goes well I thought about putting a jar out and they can write down what they would like to try for the next one and whatever has the most "votes" I will have a more specific party.... I also thought about having a more general "Arts and Crafts" party where everyone brings something they like making and have kind of a "show and tell", to get and idea of what everyone is interested in but I feel that would be even more of a task putting together...

I'm thinking, maybe I should make up a few different items to put out and those who want to can pick out what they like and try making it. Small things like a small pull string bag, or maybe flowers to make pins, etc...

depending on your budget and what you think your friends would like, you could make up a doorprize "kit" (pattern, yarn, hook) or something like that.

If it's a whole group of yarnies, maybe a yarn-tasting party would be fun. Get several different brands and kinds of yarn (they could bring a couple too, especially if budget gets in the way of this part), in different price ranges of course. For example, get a knitpicks yarn in WW, a skein of ILTY, and another WW...get a couple different novelty yarns that are similar, get a few different sport weight, a few different "chunky weight". You can divide skeins (even partial skeins may work if you do it this way) into little mini-cakes or mini-balls--big enough for a swatch or small project. and arrange them in a pretty bowl or sundae cup (dollar tree?) for each person. (BYO needles/hooks...maybe have a couple on standby from your own collection) IF they're color co-ordinated, people could mix-n-match into one project (scarf?), or make little swatches, appliques, etc...this can be a fun way to try different yarns--even some they might not otherwise use--without each person having to make a huge investment (which is where getting others to contribute yarns might help). If you have a few patterns for projects that take only a few yards of yarn (appliques, fridgies) to help people get the ideas flowing, that might help too.

as to games...what about a "guess the yarn?" or yarn trivia. (like the shower games. use the craft yarn council website or other. yarn, needles, hooks, anything yarn related would be fair game) or word scramble, using brands of yarn and supplies (boye hooks, RedHeart. etc...)

HTH, and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

A few of my friends and I have a UFO night every once in a while. UFO = Unfinished Fiber Object. Everyone brings something they want to spend some time working on, or something they want advice or help on, and we just hang out and work on our projects. I have a slew of magazines and patterns printed out, and we can look through them for inspiration.

Archived