I Love This Yarn - Old Rose vs. Hot Rose

sparkle814

Hi all - so I have committed the sin of not buying enough yarn to finish my project all at once, and now I'm having trouble finding the yarn I need. I bought a pretty medium pink yarn at Hobby Lobby several months ago (have lost the label, of course) and I picked up a skein of what I thought was the same color tonight, but comparing it to what I've already worked up I'm not sure. They are close but not quite. I bought "hot rose" but it's slightly brighter than what I had before. I'm not sure if it's the wrong color or if it's just because it's a different dye lot. The only color I found online that looks similar is "old rose." But I can't tell online how close it is to what I have. Is anyone familiar enough with these two colors to say how similar they are? Could you mistake one for the other, or is it more likely that I'm just S.O.L bc I didn't buy enough of one dye lot at once?

Thanks in advance!

I think I have both of these at home. I'm at work now. If I do, I'll get back with you tomorrow. It seems I remember they're similar, but they're just in the stash and I haven't actually used either one yet.

Old rose and Hot rose are different colors. I made a shawl with the hot rose, and I ran out of yarn, I went and bought old rose thinking that was what I was using, and it was the wrong color--I had to exchange it.

Hot rose seems to be a popular color, I had to wait two weeks for them to get it in. It was always sold out.

I checked my two lablels (I keep my labels now) and they have two different lot numbers, but it doesnt say anything about dye lot numbers??

these two are the same color. I used them on the same project.

this is what I used Hot rose on. Hope this helps :)

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133815

I pulled out my swatches. Hot Rose and Old Rose really are quite different, but Pizazz Pnk is pretty close to Hot Rose. They are about the same intensity, but Pizazz Pink is a shade bluer, a bit more raspberry. That makes the Hot Rose look brighter. They are close enough that if I were at the store going just on color memory, I might pick up the wrong one.

Thanks a lot ddc, that is so helpful. I guess I probably got the wrong color, I will go in search of Pink Pizzazz. I appreciate you taking the time to take a look for me, thanks again!

Oh man, so I just went on the Hobby Lobby site again to see if I could find Pink Pizzazz and didn't see it on there. However, I've never found their site too user friendly, so I thought I'd google image it to get a look at the yarn - and I found a couple people's blogs saying that color has been discontinued! Shoot! Oh well I guess I will just use the hot rose now since it is close-ish to the same color. It's a granny project so hopefully the color difference won't be too noticeable. Heh.

Archived