ISO Children's Crochet How-To

One of my little granddaughters loves fiber crafts and after talking with her mother I am considering ordering a book on how to crochet for Christmas. Ruth will soon be 9 (in January) and reads well. Her mother does crochet, though not avidly, and she says she'll help Ruth over any rough spots. Do you have book suggestions for a child to learn how to crochet? I can do an Amazon search and probably will, but some of you may be able to recommend some good titles.

P.S. If all this works out, I'll also get her some :yarn and :hook:hook:hook!

I like the Kids Can Do It Crocheting. The pictures were helpful for me and my niece when she wanted her Nana to teach her.

You may want to preview some books at your library to see what works before buying.

Thanks, Bailey1 and DogCatMom, for your suggestions. I've looked both books up and read reviews. I do like your suggestion to check the library first, Bailey. I will have to do that right away (hoping against hope that they will have one or both of these books)! It would be nice to look them over first although I may not get the chance. Oh, and we have a Hastings Books here, too. They might have copies of these to peek at. :yes

:hug:hug Hugs to you both!

P.S. I just did an online search at my library. They don't have either of these books or, apparently, anything like them. I guess I'll take a look at Hastings.

Get Hooked Again, ed. By Kim Werker, is one to look at. I think it has really cute patterns, ones that mom might want to make too. The patts are by some well known designers. http://www.amazon.com/Get-Hooked-Again-Simple-Crochet/dp/0823051102/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322966193&sr=1-1

Also ed by K Werker, Get Hooked came out first but i think the patts in Again are cuter.

I can't remember the name of the one I got when my youngest started to learn to crochet but I think it was by leasure art and it had both right and left handed instructions. Will see if I can find the name of it. Found the book and the name is ' Cool Stuff Teach me to Crochet' and here is the link for it ..... http://www.leisurearts.com/crochet/cool-stuff-teach-me-to-crochet.html

Thank you, Kathy and Colleen. I'll add these to my list of books to look into. Ruth is right handed but the lefty instructions are always a nice feature anyway.

I was just looking at Ruthie's Christmas list. Among other things she wants a chipmunk! Huh? :D

Well I needed something with left handed instrictions as my youngest is a lefty and she was just not getting it by watching me and she does a good job but she crochets very tight but then so did I until I did it alot and often lol
Maybe she needs to work with larger hooks than the yarn calls for to help loosen her stitches up. You're right that getting the tension is just something which comes with practice. Besides, I often use "too large" hooks when I want a project to be very soft and drapey. There are times when that is an advantage.

Archived