Newbie yarn questions!!

luv2learn

I am a newbie here, and to crocheting. I love both!! :) With that said, I have made several items already and am having a blast with it. I have only used worsted weight acrylic though, and am ready to try something else. My question is simply what all comes in "worsted" weight? I see most of the patterns I am wanting to try calls for it, but I've also seen wool in worsted weight, and I believe cotton? What all different types could I play with for a worsted weight pattern??? Is there anywhere that explains the differences too.

Thank you in advance!

most, if not all, yarn will have the weight on the label. Worsted weight is considered a size 3 yarn, but not all worsted weight yarns are still exactly the same size. Caron Simply Soft is a size 3 worsted weight, but it considerably thinner than say a Caron One Pound skein.

If you haven't yet, join Ravelry. Here is a link to yarn sizing they have that I use often. http://www.ravelry.com/help/yarn/weights?highlight=12 But I think you have to join to view it.

One thing you can't do is mix wool with acrylic as when washed the wool will shrink and the acrylic doesn't. Can make a mess or ..a work of art?! :D

Like Mary said, the yarn weights are ranges, so there is quite a bit of variation within a range. Also, the fiber type affects the drape of the crocheted fabric. You can find pretty much any fiber in worsted weight.

Here is another weight chart w/ crochet gauge and hook size as a starting point http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

It's fun to window shop online for yarn, and some sites are searchable by yarn weight and other criteria. For example on Yarnmarket here is the search for worsted http://www.yarnmarket.com/generate/search_new.cfm?action=search_adv&ss=Worsted&wt_1=&wt_2=&wt_3=on&wt_4=&wt_5=&wt_6=&yarn_weight_id=48&CFID=1787698&CFTOKEN=89607743

Most worsted weight is a Number 4. Sport weight is usually a 3. Some 4's are thinner than most, which can be annoying if you trying to get a guage correct.

Bernat Satin is a 4 and it is thinner also.

LI Roe

In my experience, the numbers that yarn is labelled is often just a guide. Number 4 is worsted weight, and is the most widely available but some are much thinner or bulkier than others - and they work up differently.

In choosing different worsted yarns, consider wool blends - they are nice to work with. Cotton is another good choice. It depends a lot on what you are making - a scarf would be great in a wool/acrylic blend (a blend is usually washable and warm), while worsted cotton makes great dishcloths or washcloths.

I agree with FrLopLady about Ravelry - the pattern search function is so much fun, and you can narrow it by yarn weight among a bunch of other choices. Of course, the most important thing is to explore and have fun! :hook

And it also depends on what you are making. Dishcloths are made in cotton worsted weight, and other items can be made in wool, superwash wool, acrylic, alpaca, and other fibers.

Usually, a pattern will say to buy a certain number of skiens and the type of yarn, weight, fiber, etc.

I do like that weight chart that someone posted here. That does help out when learning what size is what yarn.

Hang in there, you will eventually learn all the characteristics of yarn and what is good for what pattern.

:manyheart

Archived