Felted Toys

Cordelia

Can they be done? I am assuming you make the body, leave and opening and then stuff it was you get the felted look you want...

Has anyone done this? Do you have tips to share?

TIA:)

I have a knitted pattern for a felted kitty using fun fur. I haven't had time to try to work a crocheted pattern, but that is a goal of mine.

Anyway...............

Yes, lightly stuff them and leave a hole opening. You also want to stop the fulling process often and insert a wooden spoon handle or other longish object in the animal to prevent the animal from fulling together (that started to happen on a tote I made that had an outside pocket) as the fibers start to mesh.

Once fulled and dry, remove the stuffing and restuff (as the other stuffing...if batting) will be lumpy). Sew up seams and you should be good to go.

Thanx for the tips everyone! I think I am gonna give it a go....

I have landscapes but according to my swatch I tested its too bumpy for my taste for a toy.... So as soon as I find the right feel...I am gonna go for it!

Once a items is felted how do you care/clean it? Will the process continue if washed? Or does it stop at some point depending on water temp. etc....

Just thinking if you make a baby toy, more than likely ti would get yucky once in a while.:think

• 2 weeks later...

Cordelia,

someone I met recently was describing a felted stuffed animal that had beans in it like the beanbag bears. She said they were like a zen stuffed animal, that you just couldn't leave them alone. I think they were a needle felted bear made with alpaca wool.

They sounded really cool.

Deb

Archived