Walmart Mainstays

JulieKay

The Mainstays yarn may actually be Red Heart in disguise! Walmart contracts with lots of companies to produce goods for them using the Walmart private label...I know in the past, the Ol' Roy dogfood was made by Purina....virtually identical in appearance and content! I have never bought Mainstays yarn, but I did notice notice it was verrrry close to Red Heart in texture and appearance...too bad they don't carry more colors...The few times I have seen it in my Walmart, they had a terrible selection of colors...

Laurie:hook

I like the Red heart yarns for soft sculpture crocheting because they are firm enough to hold the shaping details but soft enough to make the clothing accessories. But I can't find a "flesh" color substitute in any of the local stores. Higher quality yarns are to soft - "limp", for sculpturing. Any suggestions on "Walmart" quality yarns similar to the Red Heart which I used to use for crocheting soft-sculpture dolls? I went from using a "peppermint" color which was very natural, to using the increasingly darkening peach colors. But now the peaches are so dark or bright that they're rediculous looking for "flesh". I'm able to continue getting odd skeins but would like to buy by the case. Any suggestions of brands and colors along with locations to purchase?

I read in another message board that Mainstays was a Bernat yarn. It kind of made sense to me because Wal-Mart sells a lot of Bernat. Also, said message board mentioned that it was going to be discontinued but it's still being sold? :shrug:confused

I read in another message board that Mainstays was a Bernat yarn. It kind of made sense to me because Wal-Mart sells a lot of Bernat. Also, said message board mentioned that it was going to be discontinued but it's still being sold? :shrug:confused

My wal mart doesn't sell Main Stays anymore, so it might be true. :( It was my go-to brand when I was low on cash and needed several skiens! I can't believe how expensive some of the yarns can be, and you get a ridiculously small amount of yarn. Some of them are 7 dollars for 2.5 ounces!:eek This is why I tend to stick with WW yarns and don't play with Fun Fur or anything else - I just can't afford it! And the Baby yarns... my gosh, they can be expensive. But at least if you're actually just making a baby blanket you only need a couple skiens. But I love using the Baby yarn for shrugs and such and big, huge afghans for myself, since it's so nice and soft on the skin. :c9

Oh, and the most ounces sold at my wal mart is 6 ounce skiens. I miss the 8 ounce skiens! I truly do!

Oh, dang.

I didn't like Mainstays much when I first used it, but since then I've decided I had a bad batch because the skeins I've gotten since then were about the same quality as Red Heart, so I'd started using it some because it's cheaper. And now they're getting rid of it?!?

I'm trying really hard not to spend money on non-essentials (and I just caved in and got a haircut yesterday because it had been six months and was getting all damaged & split ends) but maybe next week I can grab up some skeins in a good color or two before it's gone. Maybe I'll try to talk to the manager of that part of the store and see if I can get an answer as to whether they might replace it with another store-brand yarn...

Archived