yarn in washington DC?

cabanird

hello all! this weekend i'll be going to stay in falls church virginia but i have access to the bus and metro and plan on being in DC most of the time.

any nice craft/ yarn stores in in washington DC?

particularly, reasonable prices? flexible afghan hooks?

if you know any nice yarn stores too, you can post them up as well, i could probably check them out, couldnt hurt...well, it could hurt my wallet...i'm rambling.

thanks ladies and gents!

• 2 weeks later...

I live just north of DC. I haven't been to any shops in DC or in the VA side of DC. But, I have been to one in Bethesda, MD. (It's near the Bethesda Metro stop which is on the Red line of the metro.) It's kinda expensive for my budget, but most things in DC are. I wish I could point you to a little shop somewhere that had great deals. But, I just don't know of any that you can reach via metro.

The store in Bethesda is really neat to walk around in. Just walls full of yarn. My mom has bought yarn from them. She really like's there stuff. And, they are walking distance from the metro.

There webpage is:

Knitt and Stitch

(this is my frist time posting a link so please let me know if it doens't work).

Have you tried doing a Local Google search ? I've had good luck typing in yarn store or craft store and the town in the maps.google site, and getting a listing of sites.

Okay. I live in Arlington, a couple of minutes (literally) from Falls Church. Here's a fairly comprehensive list of shops in the area:

Stitch DC (DC)-- two locations, one newer location in Georgetown and another in Capitol Hill. The website lists directions and phone numbers and hours. Pretty shops, lots of high-end yarn.

Woolwinders (Rockville, MD)-- You can get there by taking the red line to Shady Grove (last exit) and then walking about a mile and a half or catching a bus. Their website lists directions, phone numbers, and hours. They have a good selection of stuff and are fairly friendly.

Aylins Woolgatherer (Falls Church, VA) -- this shop is right on Rt 50, about 3 miles west of Seven Corners. They have a good selection of varying levels of yarn (mid-grade yarns like Patons up to high quality yarns like Rowan) and they are always very nice. Hours etc on the website.

Knit Happens (Alexandria, VA) -- Metro accessible. Nice shop, friendly people, a bit expensive and tend to have mostly higher-end yarns. Hours etc on their website.

Springwater Fiber Workshop (Alexandria, VA) -- Metro accessible. Great shop, especially if you are a spinner or looking into getting into spinning or dyeing. They also have a lot of weaving and other equipment. Very friendly!

Uniquities (Vienna, VA) -- No website. Great shop, but can be a little difficult to find. Fairly close to Tysons Corner. Call for hours and directions.

421D Church St. NE / Vienna, VA 22180 / 1 (703) 242 0520

Capital Yarns (Chantilly, VA) -- -- I haven't been here in a couple of years, so I don't know what to say. Their website has lots of information.

Other places you may want to check out --

G Street Fabrics -- great selection of notions, buttons, zippers, fabrics, and that type of thing. Huge shops! There's one on Rt 50 just east of Seven Corners in Falls Church. Hours/etc on the website.

AC Moore -- all-around good craft store. Better than the Michaels and JoAnn's in this area. They carry a good selection of mid-grade natural fibers, plus lots of other typical crafting supplies. There is one at Rt 7 and Columbia Pike in Bailey's Crossroads/Falls Church.

Hope that helps!

Those places aren't tooooo far away.... My mom and Iwill have to take a day and check them out....

And, I agree, AC Moore is definatly better than Jo Anne's or Michael's in this area. Must larget selection of yarn.

Those places aren't tooooo far away.... My mom and Iwill have to take a day and check them out....

And, I agree, AC Moore is definatly better than Jo Anne's or Michael's in this area. Must larget selection of yarn.

I double agree. I finally found an AC Moore the other week and was really impressed with their selection.

There's also All About Yarn http://www.allaboutyarn.com/ in Columbia, MD. I've only been in there once, but it was a pretty nice shop.

There's also All About Yarn http://www.allaboutyarn.com/ in Columbia, MD. I've only been in there once, but it was a pretty nice shop.

I go to All About Yarn at least once a week. They have a Wensday Night sit and stich where a group of locals get together to work on projects and talk. The group is mostly knitters, but there a few of us crocheters.

I LOVE Aylin's clearance room. Usually has a very large selection of yarn - and LOTS of it.

I normally go to Knit Happens in Alexandria though because it's most accessible to me - it is very cute & I find the other shoppers in that store to be a huge resource - something about it makes people willing to talk to each other.

I've never been able to find Uniquities and I've floated my way out to Vienna a couple of times looking for it. How is it?

I've never been able to find Uniquities and I've floated my way out to Vienna a couple of times looking for it. How is it?

Uniquities is my favorite shop in the area, but it's such a hassle to get out there during their hours that I really only make it there on Saturdays here and there.

It's off of Maple St in Vienna... if you know where the Hancock Fabrics and the Michaels are, it's on the opposite side of the road in that general area. You have to get off of Maple and get on another road on that side of the street, and then it's in this little center that looks like a business park. I can write up better directions if you like, I just need to look at a map (I think I turn on Belulah from Maple)...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm with you. I tried several times to find it when I was working in Vienna.

I'm so glad to find this listing of yarn shops in the DC area, thank you! I'm up in Silver Spring, north of the city, and my favorite haunt is the AC Moore in Rockville. Even neater is that G Street Fabrics is right next to it in the same shopping strip. SouthWest corner of Rockville Pike (Rt 355) and Montrose (where it turns to Randolph). I also go to the AC Moore in Bowie (beltway to Rt 50E, Rt 197S into Bowie, southern-most part of the Bowie Town Center), which is bigger. The one in Bowie has the larger yarn selection, but they both carry 1.5 pound (or larger) bags of acrylic yarn by Red Heart, and pound bags by (I think) Caron at great prices. AC Moore (Tuesday's mail and email), Michaels (Wash Post Sunday), and JoAnn (email, snailmail) all routinely have weekly 40% off coupons - I use them for tools and books usually.

My skills aren't up to spending the bucks on real ;) fibers yet.....

But I can dream, can't I?

I'm with you. I tried several times to find it when I was working in Vienna.

From Maple, I turn onto Belulah, then onto another side street to get there. If anyone needs directions to Uniquities, let me know and I can PM them to you (or try mapquest/maps.google.com/etc). :)

Even neater is that G Street Fabrics is right next to it in the same shopping strip. SouthWest corner of Rockville Pike (Rt 355) and Montrose (where it turns to Randolph).

I love G Street Fabrics! I thought the one near me (off of Rt 50 just east of 7 Corners in Falls Church, VA) was tiny because there is only a tiny bit of it exposed. Then you go inside and go down a huge escalator and it is just notions and fabric heaven! (lots of buttons in all shades too!)

[as a complete aside: I grew up in montgomery county, MD, but live in Arlington now. ;) ]

• 6 months later...

I make regular pilgrimages to Rockville A.C. Moore. I'm a little dissapointed in the selection though. Bowie you say...I'll have to try it.

The only issue I have with G street is that you can't get cheap there. I can get silk brocade, leather, tweed, and every pattern ever made - but I can't find a good selection of cheap buttons. Sure you can get Italian import glass, but it's not the JoAnn's Wall-O-Buttons that I'm used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived