Please help

linda cee

Hi,

The most common thread to be found at Walmart, Michaels, JoAnn's, as well as the one most often called out in modern patterns, is size 10 thread. I'm assuming you are in the US...a US size 7 steel hook is the one I use most often, which is 1.65mm (sometimes the measurment varies a little by brand). For steel hooks the biger the size number, the smaller the hook. I've used smaller hooks for that size thread, but I wouldn't suggest it to a beginner; you could go up to a size 5 - not any bigger or stitches will look sloppy IMHO.

I am also new to thred crochet. I have tried using some thread that I bought at a yard sale, but it doesn't seem to be stiff enough. It just unravels on me. I would try to the stuff from Wal-mart. To me, thread crochet was almost like learning to crochet all over again because I had to relearn the tension.

OK, I'll be pedantic here!

Use Cebelia or other really good quality thread and a tapered steel hook - straight ones can make your work look loopy. Don't use anything to learn with that is larger than 10, 20 thread for preference, why? well you might as well get used to it from the start and you will be so proud of yourself!!

Good luck,

tas

It's been so long since I learned thread crochet I can't remember any particular difficulties. My first thread project was a tablecloth and it was finished in 1973 or 74. It's holding up well, and I'm sure I simply bought Coates and Clark because that's what Woolworth's had, but I wish I had known more about thread. As TAS, the pedantic says, a higher quality thread makes it look better in the long run. I do hold thread differently than I hold yarn. I tend to wrap it twice around my little finger to keep it taut enough.

One of my current projects is a Barbie wedding dress that will eventually use 4000 yards. I bought Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet thread in 1000 yard skeins. The sample I bought was great -- but there are too many spots with no twist in the thread. Cebelia would have been a better choice but with 4000 yards -- the price! For a Barbie dress!

Now that I've rambled, I've enjoyed this site over the years for discussion of thread, how to get started and so on.

http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/

Archived