Success in washing yarn!

katyallen815

Hi, just wanted to share!

Just wanted to post that I found some yarn at a garage sale, for a quarter a skein. It was red heart super saver, 8 oz, in red, white, (which i use lots of white,) and some blue and lavendar i think....SO i bought all she had, but checking out, she and I noticed there were a few stains on the white, so she tossed them in free, and said throw them away if you want, I won't charge you for those two.I thanked her, and said well maybe I can work around it or something...

When I got home, I put rubber bands around the two white skeins,label removed, in sereral places, from end to end, and around the middle in several places, stuffed them into a knee high hose stocking, tied them shut, and threw them in the washer, I thought for a quarter, even if I ruin them, no great loss money wise, but I would be sad yarn wise, lol

Washed them in a regular cycle with some light colored towels, then threw it all in the dryer, actually forgetting the yarn was in there, and dried that load for about 20 to 30 minutes before I remembered the yarn, and quick took it out. It was fine, when I took off the bands, nothing out of place, stains gone, white as white could be, the skiens were in great shape, and clean, plus, I believe it was softer, as I use dryer sheets too!

I pulled out the center pull of both skiens, and dry as dry can be, so I believe I successfully have washed and dried, and SAVED some super saver from the garbage bin!! woo hoo, Now I know it can be done! If i ever see any again stained, I will certainly not hesitate to buy them and wash them clean! It worked out very well, for all yarn involved..... :cheer

Wonderful! I have a load that needs washing thanks to a faulty storage tote and a rude mouse.

well to be honest, i only tried it with redheart, which we all know to be a pretty durable yarn, but the one i most use anyways, so, with something else it might be a little trickier! I have three cats, so mice are not at all usually seen in these parts, lol I would pity the mouse then enters this home!! They would tortue the poor thing and play it to death, but then walk away, and eat their Iams! (shakes head!) :think

Great to know. Congratulations on your yard sale find and on cleaning up the dusty ones successfully.

well since i can't figure out how to answer more than one quote in the SAME POST, (:think) I will answer separately, as Im sure some will take pity on my prediciment and explain how to do that, and soon!!

If it were just dusty, I don't think i would have washed it, just make sure to dust it off, or vac it, but this was actually a brownish yellowish stain, like maybe I dunno,I have no idea, but Im so glad I was able to save it!!

well since i can't figure out how to answer more than one quote in the SAME POST, (:think) I will answer separately, as Im sure some will take pity on my prediciment and explain how to do that, and soon!!

see the little quote with a plus sign next to the reply with quote? when you click it, it highlights. You can do that for as many posts as you want and even in different threads I think. I haven't tried that yet :lol. When you click on reply at the end of the thread (or where ever) it will give you the quotes for all of those that you clicked :cheer

see the little quote with a plus sign next to the reply with quote? when you click it, it highlights. You can do that for as many posts as you want and even in different threads I think. I haven't tried that yet :lol. When you click on reply at the end of the thread (or where ever) it will give you the quotes for all of those that you clicked :cheer

Thanks for posting this! Going to keep this info in mind in case I ever have to wash my yarn.

Wow, too cool!!!!!!!!

Thanks frloplady,I knew you guys would know!!!

and as to nira, it worked for me, like i said, diff yarns may post some varriables but Im glad I was able to do it!

Archived