Can Someone Walk Me Through This?

clearwaters

Question

It is from the Bernat site. It is the foundation row and for some reason, it's got me confused.

Foundation Row: (RS) 1 dc in 4th ch from hook. *Miss next 2 ch. [(YOH and draw up a loop. YOH and draw through 2 loops) twice in next ch (counts as 2 dc). YOH and draw through all 3 loops. Cluster made (ch3, cluster) twice] all in same ch - shell made. Miss next 2 ch. 1 dc in next ch. Rep from *to last ch. 1 dc in last ch.

It's the stuff in italics that's got me confused and that is the way the pattern is witten - with the italics. I know YOH=yarn over hook. I know miss next 2 ch = skip 2 chain. It's the making of the cluster that isn't clear enough for me.

Can someone decipher this in plain english. Bernat is a french company and I think their translation is a bit lacking here. Or it's just my fuzzy old brain. Any help would really be appreciated.

8 answers to this question

My translatation is this:...

Foundation Row: (RS) 1 dc in 4th ch from hook. *Miss next 2 ch.

To make Cluster:

Yarn over hook, insert hook into next ch and draw up a loop. Yarn over hook and draw through 2 loops.

Yarn over hook, insert hook into same ch and draw up a loop. Yarn over hook and draw through 2 loops. (3 loops remaining)

Yarn over hook and draw through all 3 loops. Cluster made. Do these steps 1x more.

Hope this helps.

I'm okay with the cluster. This is a problem for me:

Cluster made (ch3, cluster) twice] all in same ch - shell made.

What am I doing with the chain 3? Are they merely saying there are 3 dc in the cluster. Or do they want you to make a chain 3 between clusters and do 3 clusters in one chain stitch?

Thanks for trying to clear it up.

:think Does the pattern look a bit like flower petals?:think

I have just tried the stitch and it looks like a very pretty petal pattern. The CH 3 is to make a space in between the clusters.

Can you post a picture or write out the next row please? It is easier to work out a pattern when you have the whole thing. Can you describe what the pattern looks like if you cant take a photo.

I like patterns which give you the stitch details before the pattern starts, then they just say work a 3 Cluster group into the next CH, plus whatever else is needed to complete the row.

Remember that this is the foundation row and no other row will be working into the chain, just either the top of the cluster group or between the groups.

Let me know more and I will see if I can be more helpful in the morning.

It is 11.25 pm Saturday here so I am soon off to bed.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I think there is an error in the pattern. The way it's written makes it sound as though you should have 3 2dc clusters in one chain, after moving on to the next row I realized that just wasnt going to work. I believe the word "twice" after "cluster, ch 3) was meant to tell you to make two dc clusters in one ch sp. with a chain 3 between them, but as written it tells you to make 3 clusters-so the word should have been left out. So here is how I believe it should have been written:

Dc in 4th ch from hook, *skip 2 ch sps, (dc 2 tog, ch 3, dc 2 tog) in next ch sp (shell made), skip 2 ch sps, 1 dc in next.* Repeat * to * ending with a dc in the last ch sp. Here's how I think it should look...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ang987/detail?.dir=/6b3b&.dnm=8269.jpg&.src=ph

And here's how it looks as written. It looks fine until you get to the next row, then it scruches up...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ang987/detail?.dir=/6b3b&.dnm=db2b.jpg&.src=ph

Hope this helps,

Angie

Angie, that is exactly what stopped me in my tracks. I think it is a language problem. I believe a french-speaking person is doing the english directions. Otherwise, it would not say Miss 2 chain.

While I do a lot of crocheting, if the directions are not clear, I cannot seem to get around what they are trying to say. Thanks so much for laying it out, Angie.

What they have done wrong, in my book, is that they have not written row 1 again working into the cluster shells and not into the chain.

The little flower has 3 petals, not 2. I have done 4 rows of the pattern and it sits beautifully. I did try a bit with 2 petals and it will pull in.

On all rows, there are 2 DCs at each end, although the first is done with CH3.

Row 2 is just the DCs at the beginning, then *CH3, 1SC into middle petal of the group, CH3, 1DC into the top of the Dc of Row 1.* Repeat to the end of the row, CH 3, 1Dc into the DC and the top of the CH3. (This creates a flat platform to do your Cluster row again.

Now, I think there should be Row 3, which will be, Ch 3, 1DC into first DC, work a 3 Cluster group into the SC of the previous row, *1DC into the top of the next DC, 3 Cluster group into the next SC,* to the end of the row, 1Dc into the last 2 DCs.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 for the pattern.

The clusters look like flowers and sit directly on top of each other, Row 2 just gets you back to the beginning to do the Cluster row again.

I hope you are not using the yarn recommended as the pattern will be hidden by the fluff. This is probably why you are having trouble working it out because you cannot see the picture well.

Hope this is helpful.

Let us know how you get on.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived