Rowan's Sampler Baby Blanket - Charity CAL

Laurinda3

post-47975-135897658002_thumb.jpg

I would love some of you to join my first Crochet Along. I am designing a Sampler Baby Afghan, inspired by my first daughter Rowan. After she died at birth 2 1/2 years ago, I started the Remembering Rowan Project to donate blankets in her memory.

I am designing a special blanket to be made for our next donation on August 10th. But I welcome anyone to use my pattern and join the CAL whether they make the blanket for charity (mine or someone else's) or make the blanket for their own child!

Beginning this weekend I will post new instructions for a new 9"x9" square every Friday for the next 16 weeks to complete "Rowan's Sampler Afghan". We will start simple and move through lots of fun stitches and textures. I want to give new crocheters the chance to start with easy, basic stitches while including some challenges for more experienced stitchers. I am trying to include most of the stitches and techniques one would come across in typical crochet patterns to make this a great learning project.

Please comment below and on my Blog if you would like to join the fun! With just one 9"x9" square per week you could make one to donate and one to keep!

Blog Page With Links To All CAL Info

Get started with Square One today!

I've just spent the better part of an hour reading over the different parts of your blog. Thank you for being an inspiration - thankfully, I have never experienced the loss of a child. I thank God for that every day. I will be joining in this CAL... :hug

I've just read about Rowan and am still crying.

I lost a baby girl too, she would be 21 now but I never got to hold her, I only found out many years later that my (now ex) husband was asked if we wanted to see her and told them to "just get rid". It still makes me mad when I think about it, I was so confused at the time and being a very shy and timid person couldn't bring myself to ask anyone about her and whether it was normal procedure to not be given her to hold.

I went on to have 3 more children but will never forget Sarah, he wouldn't let me name her but in my mind and heart she was Sarah Elizabeth.

I lost a baby girl too, she would be 21 now but I never got to hold her, I only found out many years later that my (now ex) husband was asked if we wanted to see her and told them to "just get rid". It still makes me mad when I think about it, I was so confused at the time and being a very shy and timid person couldn't bring myself to ask anyone about her and whether it was normal procedure to not be given her to hold.

I went on to have 3 more children but will never forget Sarah, he wouldn't let me name her but in my mind and heart she was Sarah Elizabeth.

:hug:hug:hug How heart-wrenching!! I can understand why he's an "EX"!! :hug:hug:hug

crabby rat and rosebud75 - Thank you for checking out. I am looking forward to the company.

dibuzz - *hugs* Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am glad to hear you gave her a name. I think it is important, especially for women, to share these experiences, even if they make us cry. I feel like making and collecting blankets in Rowan's memory is the one way I get to be a mother to her. Maybe you can find some small similar way to remember Sarah Elizabeth. *hugs* to you!

Posted Square #3 Pattern Today! Single Crochet "Moss" Stitch. Check back every Friday for a new square pattern.

Come Crochet Along with me and lot of lovely ladies! I am just finishing the picot edging on my first Sample Sampler. Pictures coming very soon! :yay

Let me know if you are participating so I can add you to the Crochet Along Page with all the other important details!

I'm using Pound of Loves, one in light pink and the other in blue. So far I'm just alternating colors, but I'm kind of thinking about changing colors while it's still early. The pink is just slightly too light compared to the blue...

How about everyone else?

I'm using Pound of Loves, one in light pink and the other in blue. So far I'm just alternating colors, but I'm kind of thinking about changing colors while it's still early. The pink is just slightly too light compared to the blue...

How about everyone else?

I just finished the first Sampler Afghan in Red Heart soft green & aqua, and am working on one with Caron's Simply Soft in lavender and mauve.

My neighbor is trying to get all 16 squares out of 1 pound of love. So you might be able to get 2 blankets out of what you have Elly. Especially if you pick another color for the edging of each squares on the 2nd blanket. Way to go! :cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Square #5 - Mini Waves instructions are now up. Not too late to join the fun, only a few 9" squares to catch up and make a whole Baby Afghan. We are just getting into some of the more interesting stitches. :hook

This week I started another blanket using sugar'n'cream cotton. I love the feel of working with cotton, and find it softer for babies.

Hi Laurinda,

I'm new here and just saw this. What a nice project that combines charity and learning some new skills for a fairly new crocheter like me. My heart goes out to you, and I am glad you have found a way to give back to others who suffer a loss or a sick newborn. I would love to help in the effort.

Lisa

I'm going to try to do this with all of you.

I'm glad he's your 'ex'. His heart was definitely in the wrong place.

Take care. May you be blessed with goodness!

Hope everyone had a very happy mother's day! If you have not already, be sure to check out last week's post: Square #6: Chevrons!

Welcome to Lisa and Michelle! So glad to have you join us! With just 1 9" square per week should be able to catch up in no time! :cheer

Hi Laurinda,

I'm new here and just saw this. What a nice project that combines charity and learning some new skills for a fairly new crocheter like me. My heart goes out to you, and I am glad you have found a way to give back to others who suffer a loss or a sick newborn. I would love to help in the effort.

Lisa

I'm going to try to do this with all of you.

I finally got photos of the finished afghan and most of the patterns that will be featured in this project. I added pictures to each of the square patterns I have posted so far. So check out my blog to see what the finished 'ghan will look like and some of the patterns that will be coming up in future weeks. :manyheart

Check out this week's square pattern: Crosshatches

Also have added photos of all the squares so far, the whole finished blanket, and some of the squares coming up in the next few weeks. Have a look!

I have the first 3 squares done, and I'm working on the 4th. I hope I am making it correctly, because I couldn't follow the pattern completely.

The shell should be in the middle of the shell below it, there should be a sc and 4 skipped shells in between each shell, correct. The biggest problem I had was working out that the rows should alternate, with ending the rows with a 5 shell on row 4, a 3 shell on row 5, a 5 shell on row 6, and repeat. Is that correct?

I can't tell at all from the picture you posted, because mine seems more "open" than yours. I can't see the details.

So far I am enjoying, thanks for the project, and the help.

The shell sc should be in the middle of the shell below it...

If you work the shells into the SCs of the row below, it will not be as "open".

The biggest problem I had was working out that the rows should alternate, with ending the rows with a 5 shell on row 4, a 3 shell on row 5, a 5 shell on row 6, and repeat. Is that correct?

Nope. You must have an extra 1/2 shell in there. If you have the correct number of stitches, you should be able to repeat row 3 up until the last row. If you end with a 1/2 shell (or 3 shell) on every row, then you have start the next row with an SC at the start of the next row. Double check that you have 4 1/2 shells. Does that make sense? :think

I can't tell at all from the picture you posted, because mine seems more "open" than yours. I can't see the details.

So far I am enjoying, thanks for the project, and the help.

Click on the picture in my blog to see a larger, closer picture. I'm so glad you are enjoying the project! I am having a blast designing it and trying it in several different yarns. :hug

Thanks Laurinda, I got the pattern down for the shell square now! I'm half finished with that one.

I am using RHSS "Baby Pink" and "lilac", and I think it will make a great afghan. I will post pictures when I get more done.

:cheerGlad you got it figured out! The colors sound lovely. Say, do you mind giving your first name so I can add you to the list of participants? I just like to show how many people are participating. :)

Check out the latest square for our Crochet Along! Check it out and discover why these are Katherine Wheels, instead of Catherine. :yes

With a bunch of new followers from Diaperswappers and Ravelry in the past couple weeks I have at least 20 people participating in my Crochet Along from as far away as Germany. :cheer

Archived