Where did I go wrong......

Alosha

Ok, I bought 100% wool yarn (worsted weight) that the seller assured me would felt well. I decided to make a purse & crocheted a bag using hdc. When I finished, I wet it with hot water, squirted on some dish soap & worked it in until it was very sudsy. I washed it in the machine, hot water, regular cycle. It felted beautifully except the bottom of the bag shrunk more than the top & the top edge was very wavy :think I love the way the fabric looks & want to try again. Any tips on getting it to shrink a bit more evenly?

Alosha

Alosha -

All is not lost!! It's very possible you might be able to continue to full the parts you want by hand.

It's easiest to do in a double sink. Stop up both the drains and fill one sink w/ boiling hot water, the other with very cold water and some ice. Start in the hot water, get the bag wet and add a little soap or vinegar, something to change your pH. Start agitating the parts that you want to full more against something textured, like an old washboard, or just rubbing them together vigorously.

Once you've done this for a bit, plunge the whole thing into the cold water and keep agitating.

Reapeat the process, switching back form hot to cold, until you've got it to where you want it.

Hope that helps, sorry I can't offer more tips for next time!

What I do to felt something is to throw it in a mesh laundry bag with a few pairs of jeans, in hot water. It will usually felt up nice the first time, but sometimes it will have to go through twice. Oh, and one more thing..... Don't use your good jeans that fit. I buy some old ones at the good will and use those for felting. I do alot of it. They are great because they really beat it up. When you take it out of the machine, don't be afraid of it. Stretch the heck out of it to get it in shape. Another good tip is to use some nice and strong cardboard and plastic bags stuffed as tight as possible to help hold it's shape while drying.

Hope that helps

I had to put my felted bag thru the washer 4 or 5 times to get it the way I wanted it, kept stopping the wash cycle to check it if was the way I wanted it yet. According to the Patons book Felting for Knit and Crochet, I added baking soda to the water. I got my Patons Classic Merino at http://yarn-and-threadbylisa.com/ and have been very pleased with their price and service.

Kathy

I've used LB Fishermen's Wool 'cause I could find it locally at Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby, but I've also ordered Wool of the Andes from knitpicks.com. Both work very well, although the Knit Picks is a little less expensive.

I have been buying some 100% New Zealand wool off Ebay. It felts good and there are a variety of colors. It seems alittle fuzzier than some of the wool I have felted. Also has anyone felted the "Wool of the Andes" that comes from KnitPicks? I am making something now but havent felted it yet. I found a really nice back pack pattern and I sized it up to allow for shrinkage. It should be about right when I finish it.

I've made some felted bowls/baskets and I've had the same problem, where the bottom seems to shrink more than the top, so the top flares out a bit. Actually the whole thing looks evenly felted, there just seems to be more fabric around the top, if that makes sense. What I do now is work some decreases in the last few rounds. If anyone wants more details I can post the pattern for the last one I made which turned out OK.

• 2 weeks later...

but i wanted to say thanks for the help here. i just tried my first felted piece, the cell phone pouch in the FC easy crochet that's new out, and it won't felt!!! i used the LB wool and followed the directions exactally! now i know it takes a LONG time.:cheer

Archived