RH Super Saver for Baby?

CrocheterAmanda

I'm working on a design that needed a particular shade of blue. The yarn I found that matched the closest was RH Super Saver. I've never worked with this yarn, but for a baby blanket I usually choose Simply Soft or Soft Yarn. What are your thoughts on whether Super Saver is soft enough for an item for a baby? Thank you for your thoughts!

Red Heart just came out with a new soft yarn. A bunch of us have seen it at Walmart. Even when it's washed it's no where near as soft as Simply Soft and it's noticeably thicker to work with.

I use RH very often when making baby blankets. Not only do I like the colors but it stands up well in the wash and can be used when the babies get a little older. Infant blankets I make in "baby yarn" but prefer to make baby blankets to last longer (ex: be used in strollers or on car seats).

I just completed a baby afghan out of Red Heart SS in white and, to be honest, it was the scratchiest thing I think I've ever made. I was so surprised because I've used RHSS many, many, many times and I don't remember it being so stiff and scratchy. I was having serious doubts as to its appropriateness for a baby, but I read somewhere here in Crochetville about throwing the item in the dry on low heat with a dryer sheet (no washing necessary) to soften it up. I am going to try that because I don't have time to make a replacement.

Wash it first and then dry it with a dryer sheet. Yarn comes with something called sizing in it. It makes it stiffer and supposedly easier to work with. A lot of the scratchiness will wash out of it.

I made a friend a little baby sweater out of Red Heart SS, as it was the only yarn I could find that had the color I was looking for. Like people have said, I washed it (used fabric softener), plus I used a dryer sheet. It softened right up. She loved the finished product!

Archived