I'm on a Slipper Making Marathon!

boksie

Just finished making 4 pairs of slippers this week and #5 is on the hook. I'm going visiting later this month and I'm taking a bunch with me to give as gifts. Two of my uncles aren't doing very well. One was diagnosed with colon cancer before Christmas and the other had a benign tumor removed from his lungs but now has some complications. I think they'll like the slippers. Even though they live in Florida, with slab foundations I'm betting that the floors are still cold on bare feet. Oh, and I allmost forgot, here's the link to the pictures (it's a mini-slideshow)!

Great slippers Sharon... Wonderful idea making a big man's size... I hope you keep the directions on your site incase I need them in the future... Ever since you helped me out with these slippers, they are my favorite pattern... I made about 6 pair for family in NY for Christmas... They rave about them. Now all of my little/younger cousins want some... Thanks for sharing... GBU!:):)

Great slippers Sharon... Wonderful idea making a big man's size... I hope you keep the directions on your site incase I need them in the future... Ever since you helped me out with these slippers, they are my favorite pattern... I made about 6 pair for family in NY for Christmas... They rave about them. Now all of my little/younger cousins want some... Thanks for sharing... GBU!:):)

You're very welcome Dawn. I have recently been informed that the slippers might be more comfortable if the ridges were only done at the top instead of all around the heel. So, I've just been doing the top part of the "cuff" the last few pairs I've made. That's when you chain 11 then sc 10 down the side, those are the only stitches I'm doing in the blo.

You're very welcome Dawn. I have recently been informed that the slippers might be more comfortable if the ridges were only done at the top instead of all around the heel. So, I've just been doing the top part of the "cuff" the last few pairs I've made. That's when you chain 11 then sc 10 down the side, those are the only stitches I'm doing in the blo.

Don't you need the BLO for them to stretch?.. Can you post a pic so I can see? So you are saying, when you get to the dec rows, the last 3, don't do them in the BLO, right? I can understand that the heel would be more comfy without the ridge.. Thanks! GBU!:manyheart

Don't you need the BLO for them to stretch?.. Can you post a pic so I can see? So you are saying, when you get to the dec rows, the last 3, don't do them in the BLO, right? I can understand that the heel would be more comfy without the ridge.. Thanks! GBU!:manyheart

When the pattern says to:

Row 1: Using both loops, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 9 ch; sc in each of next 20 (25 - 25) sc; sc in each ch on opposite side of beg ch; ch 1, turn.

You should have 40 (45-45) sc.

From now on, sc in the back loop (loop away from you) of each sc. Here's where I do 10 in blo, then 25 in both loops then 10 in blo. For the decrease rows, I do the first and last 10 stitches of the rows in the blo

If sizing is a problem you can always put an extra row or 2 in before you chain 11 and start the back/heel section. I've never had a problem with the ribs/ridges being uncomfortable but recently 3 people told me they loved the slippers but that they didn't like the ridges on their feet. After all these years of making this pattern (since the 70s!) I just now find out that some folks have a problem wearing them. The men's black and white one's I made only have the cuff portion ribbed; here's the picture of them. These are a "big men's" size but you should get the idea from them. Hope this helps.

post-12937-135897628271_thumb.jpg

When the pattern says to:

Row 1: Using both loops, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 9 ch; sc in each of next 20 (25 - 25) sc; sc in each ch on opposite side of beg ch; ch 1, turn.

You should have 40 (45-45) sc.

From now on, sc in the back loop (loop away from you) of each sc. Here's where I do 10 in blo, then 25 in both loops then 10 in blo. For the decrease rows, I do the first and last 10 stitches of the rows in the blo

If sizing is a problem you can always put an extra row or 2 in before you chain 11 and start the back/heel section. I've never had a problem with the ribs/ridges being uncomfortable but recently 3 people told me they loved the slippers but that they didn't like the ridges on their feet. After all these years of making this pattern (since the 70s!) I just now find out that some folks have a problem wearing them. The men's black and white one's I made only have the cuff portion ribbed; here's the picture of them. These are a "big men's" size but you should get the idea from them. Hope this helps.

:hugOnce again, thanks for the help.. None of my family has complained yet about the ridges.. Now I expect it :lol.... That's a lot of slippers you made to just find out about it...:P Unfortunately, with my eyesight, I can't see the difference in black & white. Can't see black when there is a lot of it in one place, crazy huh.. But I do use it once in a while in afghans... GBU!:manyheart

:hugOnce again, thanks for the help.. None of my family has complained yet about the ridges.. Now I expect it :lol.... That's a lot of slippers you made to just find out about it...:P Unfortunately, with my eyesight, I can't see the difference in black & white. Can't see black when there is a lot of it in one place, crazy huh.. But I do use it once in a while in afghans... GBU!:manyheart

Sometimes I have problems with darker yarns too. A year ago I tried making a doily out of thread-it was hard for these ol' eyes to see. I have the 2nd doily sitting here over 1/2 done but I get frustrated trying to see where to put the hook. Oh well, what crocheter doesn't have a few ufos sitting around? Maybe my family is tender-footed and that's why a few of them recently mentioned that the ridges bother them. I still like to wear the slippers I made that have ridges. :hug

• 6 months later...

Those are great slippers! Thanks for adding the extra large size too, Daughter is 6' 2" & her boyfriend is 6' 8" so the larger size is really handy. :)

I've been on a slipper kick too, slippers, mittens & hats....winter stuff.

the pattern i've been using is from The Pink Slipper Project (http://www.pinkslipperproject.org/).

Nice pattern to work. It's got a crochet, knit & sew version.

Thanks for sharing.

:cheerI am on a similar mission because of the earthquakes which shattered homes and lives in Christchurch, in the South Island of New Zealand, September last year and February this year with many killed and a huge number injured.

This winter has been especially bad and the people have had to contend with broken homes which even let in the snow a few weeks back.

I call my mission "Warm Up Christchurch One Pair of Feet at a Time"

I have not kept track of how many pairs of slippers, bedsocks and beanies I have crocheted and knitted but I have also started a Knitting/Crochet group and have recieved lots of yarn and completed items from my new friends.

Such a simple thing to make a pair of slippers but so gratefully recieved as you will find out when you give yours.

I had one family tell me that the husbamnd did not want a pair of girly slippers so it was just as well I sent some large enough because as soon as he tried them, he did not remove them from his feet, even to go to bed that night.

Best recommendation I could get.

Have fun when you pass on your gifts.

Colleen:hug

PS. It is 9/11 here and there have been lots of memorial services around NZ to remember what happened in the US 10 years ago.:hug

Archived