Washing afghans (worsted wt)

Lollie2639

Question

I have a very old afghan...about 35 years old. It has a light stain on it about the size of your palm or smaller. I wanted to know about washing it. I doubt it has ever been washed...at least not in 15 years. Its been in my Grandmothers closet with other blankets and quilts. I have it now to try to figure out what stitch was used to make it. Any tips on washing afghans? Here's a pic of it.

Thanks, Laurie

th_DSC00350.jpg

5 answers to this question

Good Luck with that stitch. Looks like a good one.

As for washing your item, I've just put mine into the washer on a normal wash and then tossed into the dryer for about 30 min's, then let it finish air drying.

I always machine wash and dry my afghans as well. If it is acrylic, it should wash fine, though I think I might wash it on the delicate cycle because of its age and the stitch and use a little stain spray on the spot...

Laurie:hook

that is broomstick lace.. and as for the stain.. i would spot treat the stain .. then take it to the dry cleaner for a thourough clean.. given its age..

if you are brave enough to throw it in the washer.. do it on gentle.. cold water .. and dry on low.. of course pretreating the stain before washing..

Archived