what does this ( * ) means????????

lovelyscrubs

Question

Hi I dont know how to read patterns so what does that star mean for example ( 1 sc in 2nd hook.*ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch.rep from *to last chain.) does that mean i sc in 2nd hook then ch 1 miss next ch then 1 sc in next ch then ch 1 miss next ch 1sc in next ch and on and on till the row is finished and also when there is two stars what does that mean???:think

8 answers to this question

It means repeat the part after the asterisk until the end of the row.

Kinda like saying, "ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch, ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch,ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch,ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch,ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch,ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch,ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch,ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch,ch 1. miss next chain.1 sc in next ch....." You get the idea...

it's a repeat mark. Usually they will say "repeat from * " however many times you're supposed to in that pattern.

:)

Two ** would be most likely a different repeated series of stitches in the same row. I think that's right anyway.. in other words it might be *skip 1 sc, ch2.... then later in the same row **skip 2, ch 3 and the * and the ** would alternate? I'd have to try to find a pattern with that in it to be able to describe it better. Hope that helps anyway..

Thanks I thought that was what it meant but sometimes when I look at a pattern and see all those stars I get nervous.But anyway I am off to make a shrug hope to put up pictures soon ( this is my first big project I usually just make scarfs and blankies) wish me luck!!!

Great luck and I"m sure you'll do wonderfully :)

What helped me when I was first learning to read patterns was to mark with a pencil and make my own notes and help me keep count and track of where i was in the pattern. It does get confusing with all those abbreviations and astericks lol

Sometimes it helps to write out the pattern, row by row, spelling out what it wants you to do, then check them off as you go. I have to do that for most intricate patterns, since I think (seriously) that since my accident I have some brain problems.

Kathy

You received great tips. The repeats in a row are between * _________ *. Sometimes they are between parenthesis (___________) with twice written after the parenthesis --or how many times to do the pattern of stitches.

When I have trouble reading a pattern I always write it down on post it notes or a notepad. It does help to write it down--post it's are good because you can note rows to count & use the post it to move through the pattern.

Archived