Beg. Needs Help w. DC Project

katysam

Question

I'm making a baby blanket with Homespun Baby and an N hook using a double crochet stitch. I really like the look of the blanket EXCEPT on the edges. Every few rows, there is an unusually large hole in the space where I made the last stitch. I have been very careful not to miss any stitches, and I have unraveled everything several times and started over again. AND I am doing the recquired dc stitch in the top chain stitch in the turning chain in the previous row. Please help! Is the large hook the problem or part of the problem? Or is it something else?

Thanks!

Katy

9 answers to this question

I think I just found the answer to my question. Crocheting for Dummies, p. 81:

"Sometimes, especially when you're working with bulky yarn or a larger than usual hook, the turning chain on a double crochet row leaves a gap at the beginning of the row. To get a neater edge, try chaining 2 instead of 3 stitches for the turning chain."

This actually occured to me, but I figured I didn't know enough yet to figure it out myself!

(I tried taking a photo, but the yarn is a light color and the photo overexposes.)

Thanks for your response!

Katy

When working in dc, insead of making a ch 3 at the beginning of the row, i make a sc & ch1 instead. When i come back to it on the next row, i make a long dc into the sc, making sure it's even with the last stitch, and this eliminates the holes. Hope this helps.

Angie

I have both the Crocheting and the Knitting For Dummies books. My roommate got them at a steal where she works; for a dollar apiece! Even as a mostly experienced crocheter, I still refer to the book from time to time.

Glad you figured out the problem and remedied it!

Archived