Plying Thread Into Yarn - is there a simple technique or tool?

Hello Again

Long story short, I am in possession of a large quantity of thread originally intended for a knitting machine. It's either fingering or laceweight and I'm too lazy to make lace :) I was thinking maybe I could ply several together to make a heavier weight yarn more suitable to crochet projects, but I'm not exactly sure how you do that.

I poked around on I Can Spin but everything seemed oriented to spinning from roving. I just need to ply the thread into yarn. I'm not really interested in a whole bunch of expensive new equipment though. Any ideas for me?

Do you have a spindle or spinning wheel? If so, you can ply the laceweight yarn together for a thicker yarn.

Check to see which direction the laceweight was spun. If the original spinning was clockwise, then you you have to ply spinning counterclockwise.

After you've plied 2 or 3 laceweight singles together, if the yarn still isn't thick enough for you, you can take the plied yarn, and ply it with another plied yarn to make a cabled yarn.

For plying with a wheel, try Abby Franquemont's video

and for plying with a drop spindle:

Or you can chain ply (getting a 3-ply yarn from a single ply) The video calls it a Navajo ply, but it's actually called a chain ply (yes, it's like making a crochet chain and spinning it!)

I don't have a spindle, a wheel, or even a yarn winder. I'd be willing to invest in a spindle since it isn't expensive, but after watching a few videos I'm a bit intimidated. It looks like its more of an art that you do from feel than something where you just follow the directions and get a result. I don't really have anyone to show me how or correct me. :(

Well I appreciate your input! I can always just work multiple threads at a time I suppose.

• 2 months later...

Rose Red, Just crochet all the yarn together as one. If they are different colors, then some places you will have more have of one color then the others. Guess I would say spotty.. Then other times it will have a tweeded effect, and other times a stripped effect. It all depends on the yarn on how it is crocheted up. Are you using even or odd number of Stitches?

• 3 weeks later...

I make a hand plied yarn from 2 strands of 16/2 cotton yarn and one strand of 1/18 nylon-call it "zebra"

I use my drop spindle, it's not that hard for plying only.

it does have a tiny bit of twist, but I can hold a 1 1/2 yard section with my hands a foot and a half apart, and it doesn't twist in on itself. that's my gauge to see if I put in enough or too much twist.

you have some good advice above.

Archived