Fringe alternative

PJinNH

Recently I was crocheting on a poncho in the motorhome on the way back from Virginia to New Hampshire. Well I had finished the poncho and needed to work on the fringe as the pattern called for. Well trying to cut even fringe in a moving motorhome is next to impossible, so I came up with a solution.

I attached my yarn (I chose a shoulder seam) and chained 21 stitches, then I slip stitched back up the stitches staring with the 2nd chain from the hook. When I got to the edge of the poncho I slip stitched a couple stitches along the edge and then I chained another 21 stitches like before.

So far, it's looking pretty good, though I probably wouldn't recommend it for a project that was "light and fluffy" as it looks a bit chunky, but it works with this basketweave poncho pattern. When I get it completed I'll provide a photo.

• 2 years later...

mimicat...Just love the free pattern for Warm Cap with Brim that I found on your site, exactly what I was looking for when I want to be more serious and my rainbow hat with flower won't do. Thank you for posting the urls...

mimicat...Just love the free pattern for Warm Cap with Brim that I found on your site, exactly what I was looking for when I want to be more serious and my rainbow hat with flower won't do. Thank you for posting the urls...

Thanks for letting me know you found my pattern ;) , hope you'll be able to share a photo when you make one. :hook

Making chain fringe is also easier when washing. I can't stand having to braid the fringe before washing and then unbraiding it. The other option is to untangle all the knots. :O)

Archived