fun fur scarf?

andersonsrus

Question

My 20 something daughter asked me to make a fun fur scarf for a friend of hers for her birthday.

Got the pattern from Lion Brand web site.

Did 8 singles arross.

Now for the length.

What would be a good length ?

Don't want it to short or too long.

It's now about 45 and seems to short.

Any advise on this would be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I'm a 20-something and made a few of these over the winter for myself and my younger sisters...To get the length I liked, I wrapped it around my neck once and kept going until both ends reached my waist when I was wearing it.

I made a couple of these and the problems I had were that I kept missing stitches, so the rows got shorter and shorter. The one I made after took a while since I took time to count each row how many stitches I had. Then after wearing it, I realized that using just one strand of yarn made it stretch a LOT. :( One of my friends at church said she used a strand of regular yarn with the fun fur and it worked quite well and didn't stretch. I've since used my knitting wheel to make the scarves which works so much faster and I can keep better track. I've been using two strands of fun fur (often of different colors) with one strand of regular yarn. It makes an interesting pattern.

:)

And yes, for length, I just tried it on or had my mom measure how long she wanted hers.

:cheer A nice way to use "Fun Fur" yarn without the bother it causes, is to make your scarf in a plain, lightweight yarn, in SCs and working only into the front loop of each stitch on every row. This can be done quite loosly.

Then you take the "Fun Fur" yarn and do SCs onto the ridges left. You may be able to just go from one side of the scarf to the other as you add the "Fun Fur", just do 2 chain to carry the yarn up to the next row to be worked.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

when i do fun fur i do them 8 wide and work til i am done with the skein.. no left overs !

Almost exactly what I do!!!! (except I leave a little left over for making cat toys)

Lenght and width is a personal choice. We are all come in different sizes and shapes, and then there is the area one lives in, I live in Florida, we like them for style only, not warmth. Me personally I like them to be long, non wraped around neck, should be about 5 inch below waist line, now that is my choice, but I have made them above the waist line also for friends whom want them like that. What i do is ask them to take tape measure around neck and let hang down, pick a spot then tell me the number, and that is what I do. I use fun fur/ eyellash fur with and with out reg. yarn, they do make up quick, MUST use ahuge hook, K or larger, also I work it side to side (width) not lenght, cause if you start any scarf length wise, then you are stuck with that lenght, width wide, then you can always add or pull out, no big deal. Also if I run out of eyelash then if needed, I add a few rows usings reg yarn in many pattern I choose, they really turn out so cute.

Archived