what are crochet steeks?

wow - how interesting - i've never heard that term before...now i'm intrigued. I'm gonna have to try this - because I can't stand my bulky seams!!! thanks for posting - hopefully someone has done this and can explain in detail!

I don't know much about it, but I think when fair isle sweaters are knitted, part or all of it is knitted in a tube and then they "steeked" (prepped for cutting) and then snipped with scissors. I haven't even mastered the basics of knitting, let alone anything as complicated as fair isle patterns, so that's about where my understanding ends. Let me tell you, I have the utmost respect for anybody who can knit something in an intricate multi-color pattern and then snip it with scissors to make seams! I think I would die of fright.

While I'm not that interesting in knitting fair isle, that definately is a technique that could get me interested in knitting some more. It's quite cool, and I'd imagine it could have loads more uses than just on fair isle jerseys.

Now, where are those knitting needles, I wanna go... :knit

I wanted to see if I could create and use a steek using only crochet, and you can! I tested it by rolling my car window up on it and driving around town for about fifteen minutes and then on the highway for a bit. It frayed, but it stopped at the "wall" of sc I made! Excitement, verily!

I woke up this morning thinking about what you'd said, because I would like to do traditional tapestry crochet, but on flat pieces instead of round. I haven't been able to get the reverse single crochet rows to look right, so I can see doing it in the round and then cutting it to lay flat.

I wanted to see if I could create and use a steek using only crochet, and you can! I tested it by rolling my car window up on it and driving around town for about fifteen minutes and then on the highway for a bit. It frayed, but it stopped at the "wall" of sc I made! Excitement, verily!

I've been trying to figure this out.

Here is the link:

http://www.exit109.com/~lsyoung/knitting/Crochet_Steeks/crochet_steeks.html

Or what are "steeks" ?

Does anyone know? Has anyone done this?

here is another link that explains it better; scroll down to april 24th post and she gives a rather interesting explanation and if you go further back she has other info on them:

http://mimoknits.typepad.com/knitting/2004/04/

hope this was helpful.....i'd never heard of them before either:shrug

Archived