Edging technique....

I have crocheted for years. I noticed a lot of projects will just say basically x number of stitches for edging as your foundation, etc. My mom taught me how to edge a blanket and I have always done it that way... basically she taught me to just keep your stitches even and avoid curling or ruffling of the edges while you work. This may require you break through a stitch or something though it seems. I was looking up some techniques the other day though when I went to edge my latest work... it said that you should never break a stitch and only work between stitch spaces. To me, that is not always possible though on the sides of the projects.

SOOOOO.. I figured I would ask how each of you do your foundation roaw for your edges. Do you have a favorite technique? Do you only go between stitch spaces/gaps or will go you into the actual stitch if necessary? I will admit edging is ranks right up there with sewing squares together and weaving in ends to me on the list of stuff I hate doing!

it seems to me that when working along the sides, I have to sttich into a stitch. otherwise if I only sttich into existing gaps, then I am just making the gap bigger and more noticeable. sounds like your mom was a good teacher:hook

i agree, starting an edging is not one of my favorite things to do;)

I agree - if I have to stitch up the side of a stitch, there's really no way to avoid it. Maybe if it's all single crochet, but probably not even then. If I'm stitching around the top or bottom of a stitch, then it's fine - I stitch between.

I hope that makes sense!

I was taught the same as your mother taught you. Even though I try not to have to split sts, there are times it is needed to make it look correct.

My Mom said that in the end, you do what you have to for it to work out correctly. I used to agonize over things like this, or the number of ch's in a turning ch. That's another one.

So many people have questioned if we MUST ch 3 to turn when using dc. Well, in general we do, but use 2 or 4 if that's what works for you for this piece.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Glad to see that I had not been doing it wrong for almost 20 years! LOL I really do hate trying to do a pattern where the edging has to be a multiple of a certain number because it never works out like that! LOL

Archived