Starter Kit

joules

I have used a Drop Spindle before its a lot of fun but if I was you I would look into if there was a social group in your area. My Mom is a handspinner and has been for 20 years or so and they have two groups in the area one is much larger than the other but willing usually to help out beginners

I have used a Drop Spindle before its a lot of fun but if I was you I would look into if there was a social group in your area. My Mom is a handspinner and has been for 20 years or so and they have two groups in the area one is much larger than the other but willing usually to help out beginners

thanks

have no idea how to find a group in my area. will bear it in mind

I just did a google search for Hand spinning groups in england and it came up with a site called UK and Europe Spinning Resource I would think if you called one of them Locally they maybe able to help you with information.

thanks

didnt think f that but then my dd isnt sleeping well and i dont cope well without sleep

LOL I live in the south not so sure handspinning wool or other fibers is a good idea but I would love to learn myself maybe if I ever move back up north I may do that. But right now I am just enjoying learning new patterns for crocheting

I have been spinning on an Ashford student spindle, which is good. I was able to buy it from a shop (in Australia, Petlins in Sydney) and the man spent time showing me what to do. This was VERY helpful. If you can't get to a spinning shop, a spinning group would be another good option. I love that spindles are quite cheap and portable. You do need to have some patience to start with, but I am really glad I did it. Now all I need is friends with sheep. You'd think that would be easy in Australia.

I have been spinning on an Ashford student spindle, which is good. I was able to buy it from a shop (in Australia, Petlins in Sydney) and the man spent time showing me what to do. This was VERY helpful. If you can't get to a spinning shop, a spinning group would be another good option. I love that spindles are quite cheap and portable. You do need to have some patience to start with, but I am really glad I did it. Now all I need is friends with sheep. You'd think that would be easy in Australia.

cool thanks

i dont think im going to be able to get to a group as i dont have a car and evenif i did im finding it hard to find a craft group of any kind to go to :(

will get that kit and see how i get on after that i can look at different fibres and kit etc.

thanks everyone for the input :)

Archived