Graph help

Hello everyone!! I have finally decided to try a graph. I am doing a Dallas Cowboys blanket for a good friend of mine.. I put the stuff in Knit Pro and I just have a few questions. Are the stitches single or double stitch? And what is the easiest way to change colors while crocheting? I've never done a project with a lot of color changes. I would appreciate any help or advice you could give!! Thank you

Haley

Hey Haley!

Good luck with your graphghan! I have come to have a love hate relationship with them! BUT... I do love doing them!

I always work mine with SC because DC tends to distort the pattern. Most are either worked in SC or Tunisian stitch though.

For color changes I can help you with the SC changes since that is what I do. When you work the stitch before the color change you will actually complete your color change. If for example you are supposed to have a color change at block 20 the on stitch 19 you would change color with the final step of the stitch. When you would do your wrap around the pull through your two loops on the hook you would actually wrap around with color that you are changing to. So you may have two blue loops on your hook but are changing to gray so you would pull through the 2 loops with gray. Youtube has some great videos on how to do color changes. You will have several balls of yarn going at once usually and carry your yarn up to the next row for color.

Good luck with your graph! There are a bunch of us here that have done them so ask all the questions you have and hopefully we can answer them for you!

Thank you so much. I have done color changes with dc so I am pretty sure I can do it. I am excited about doing a graph, I have been wanting to challenge myself for a while!!

Have any of you tried doing the tunisian afghan stitch? I was thinking of trying one that way, but am not sure how well it would look and if I can figure out how to carry the colors.

I have done a graph 'ghan in Tunisian. I've used Tunisian for a lot of different projects. I don't carry the yarn though. I leave all of the tails hanging in the back and line it with fabric. I don't like the way the 'ghans look when the yarn is carried whether in sc or Tunisian.

Most of the experts say not to carry a color for more than 3 sts. I don't like the 'shadow' it makes when you carry one thru either unless it's incorporated into the pattern and supposed to look that way.

Archived