I have a ? too.

mgqueen

I bought this pattern for crochet and it suggests Cascade 220 Wool yarn, worsted weight. Are there other name brands of wool yarn that could be substituted for it? I have never felted anything--this will be the first time for me.

Thanks!

mg

Lion Wool will work if you can find it. Cascade 220 should be available at Michael's and sometimes at Jo-Ann Fabrics. A lot of local yarn shops might have it, too.It's actually cheaper than Lion and seems to come in more colors. Brown Sheep, Patons and just about all the other major yarnmakers, including Knit Picks, make worsted-weight wool. Just make sure it isn't superwash; look for "hand wash only, do not twist or wring".

I LOVE the way Paton's felts I have never had a problem with it AND it has more on the skein for around the same price as Lion Brand. I have only ever found the Cascade at my LYS. :)

I haven't tried the Full O' Sheep yet. I have one skein each of turquoise and brown Bamboo Ewe that's supposed to felt and I'm going to try to make a fedora out of the turquoise, just because I love hats.

Patons Soy Wool Stripes felts if you can find it. It was kind of expensive at our LYS, though.

If you're just starting out with felting and want something inexpensive to play around with, look at the sale racks, either at your LYS or at the big box stores. Ollie's Bargain Outlet gets yarn in sometimes, too. Every once in a while you'll find a skein that got half unrolled or lost part of a label--that's how I got the Bamboo Ewe for 50 cents!

Full of Sheep felts??? That's fantastic - I love that stuff! So soft...

Also @ Becky - Ollie's is the greatest - we drive from Pittsburgh to the one in Steubenville whenever we can. DH is in Ollie's Army & can kill hours in there. I've never seen yarn in the one we go to - do they have it often?

Bamboo Ewe felts??? That's fantastic - I love that stuff! So soft...

Also @ Becky - Ollie's is the greatest - we drive from Pittsburgh to the one in Steubenville whenever we can. DH is in Ollie's Army & can kill hours in there. I've never seen yarn in the one we go to - do they have it often?

I was in the Ollie's near me last week. They had the 7oz skeins of Vanna's choice for $2.99!

Hi

No, we don't have a Pat Catan's. I don't even know what kind of store that is--I never heard of it. Where I live at Wal-mart is the only store and we have a Lowe's, Ollies, Big Lots--that's about it.

Sorry - thought Ollie's was regional, but I looked on their web site - I didn't realize they were in so many places! (BTW, Pat Catan's is a regional discount craft store in Ohio and PA.) Good luck with the wool yarn hunt!:)

Archived