Holding strands together

Roxiegirl

I've been doing searches on some old posts as i'm learning thread crochet. I don't remeber the exact post but I saw someone saying something about using 3 strands to crochet. Is it typical in thread crochet to hold two of three strands of thread together and crochet?

Thanks, roxie

I do a lot of thread crochet but it is usually with one strand. When using three strands it could possibly be using sewing thread and doing one of the "painted doilies". I haven't tried that with thread but I did with yarn to make one of the round ripples. Turned out really nice. You could use 2 strands to make a dish cloth or coasters.

I do it all the time, as I rarely buy yarn or thread for projects, but rather for the price and looks.

If a project calls for hook 5 I use two or three strands of beautiful thinner yarns. Matching the colours is part of the fun for me.

but she's just learning to work with thread.

Try #10 thread and a size 7 steel Boye or size 5 steel Bates hook. The hardest part about working with thread is learning or reteaching yourself to hold the thread at a different tension than yarn.

Once you get that down feel free to experiment. Try different threads and hooks or multiple threads and hooks. It can be very frustrating to jump right into more advanced work before you get the basics down.

Flia - I've seen your work and it's AMAZING! I think you could crochet in your sleep and it would still come out AMAZING!

but she's just learning to work with thread.

Try #10 thread and a size 7 steel Boye or size 5 steel Bates hook. The hardest part about working with thread is learning or reteaching yourself to hold the thread at a different tension than yarn.

Once you get that down feel free to experiment. Try different threads and hooks or multiple threads and hooks. It can be very frustrating to jump right into more advanced work before you get the basics down.

Flia - I've seen your work and it's AMAZING! I think you could crochet in your sleep and it would still come out AMAZING!

You may be right about waiting with the combining threads.

I have interchanged with 2 strands of embrodiery thread to get the size I need. Also, to get a color I want that I can't find in #10 or 20. With this, I use the size hook it calls for which is #7 for the patterns I used.

Archived