Looking for Susan Bates...

Shaddy2

I am seeking a full set of Susan Bates steel hooks, AMERICAN made, as opposed to Mexican. I have yet to find these anywhere, could some kind lady point me in the right direction?

Do I find an old out of the way dime store? Ya think?

Hi

I don't know where to get them but I was wondering, is there a difference in the hook that is made in the usa as opposed to Mexico? I just started with thread and I decided that I don't like the Boye hooks. But I do have a SB made in Mexico that I like better.

I never realized that some Susan Bates hooks were made in Mexico. I have been duplicating a lot of the ones I use the most because I always have a few projects going at the same time and invariably I need the same hook for the different projects. I just picked up another Susan Bates, still in the wrapper, have to check where it was made.

I find, for me, the Susan Bates are easier to use than the Boye hooks. The yarn seems to catch more with the Boye hooks and it doesn't flow as nicely as when I use Susan Bates. Even the Crystallites in the larger sizes (L,M,N and P) are easy to use, some people don't like the Crystallites, I've used up to 3-4 strands with them when I make my pet blankets.

You may even find some old ones at thrift stores. Wish I could have been of more help. Good luck.

LI Roe

I am seeking a full set of Susan Bates steel hooks, AMERICAN made, as opposed to Mexican. I have yet to find these anywhere, could some kind lady point me in the right direction?

Do I find an old out of the way dime store? Ya think?

Susan Bates hooks have not been made in the USA since the mid 1980's. They were first outsourced to Japan and then with NAFTA to Mexico.

E-mail me if you are still interested in these, I have a couple of sets of vintage made in USA hoosk, I was going to list on eBay. Price for 00-14 set is $20.00 plus postage.

Emily

I find, for me, the Susan Bates are easier to use than the Boye hooks. The yarn seems to catch more with the Boye hooks and it doesn't flow as nicely as when

My thoughts exactly! I'm a Bates girl myself!

• 5 months later...
Susan Bates hooks have not been made in the USA since the mid 1980's. They were first outsourced to Japan and then with NAFTA to Mexico.

E-mail me if you are still interested in these, I have a couple of sets of vintage made in USA hoosk, I was going to list on eBay. Price for 00-14 set is $20.00 plus postage.

Emily

Do you have any sets left?

Also, do you have any old aluminum USA Bates?

Preferably the middle sizes up to large. Actually I need steel ones also, I just checked and only have 1.

Cindy

I find the coating on the old ones work better for me....they don't tug as much to the yarn. Maybe they are broken in, not sure, what ever it is it works for me. And as i found out by HookLady's great Picture Post, I also like the longer shaft and deeper throat. Thank you again, hooklady, for all you do.

Cindy

Archived