Sample Squares

i keep seeing different stitch patterns in books and online etc and keep mkaing small swatches of them to see how they work and how they look in my yarns. this somehow seems a waste esp as they get lost around the house. also real samples never look the same as the pics in books

i want to be able to look at them for inspiration at a future date

my first thought was to put them in small envelopes with all the details written on the outside. but then i wont see them. so my next idea is to make each swatch a similar size and then make a sampler throw with them using the flat braid method. i figure i can make a set of notes thati can file away so when i look at the throw i can then grab the notes to see how i did a certain square.

what do you think guys? a stitch bible on my bed?

i think next month i will be buying s lot of yarn in colours that will go well....maybe a two tone sampler?

any thoughts guys

thanks

that is a great idea, that or take a picture of each swatch and file that pic with your notcard so you dont have to keep pulling out the blanket and searching for the notcard.. you'll have the picture to compare to your blanket :) so you know you got the rite notecard.

then u can always organize it in a recipi box or a file folder

If you are on Ravelry, you could keep a picture and your notes on project pages. Use an indexing code of your choice in your tittle for each sample. (Like A-1, A-2 ETC) I would also add similar tags also to the project page. Finally, I would do as someone else mentioned and put them in baggies or something similar; label and store. I currently have a project page for every square I did for a block of the month group. I haven't finished it yet (5 months overdue). But all my info is right there so when I start joining, if I have to add rounds, I have my hook used, yarn etc right there. In valuable IMHO.

i like the card file idea as it would take up less space and cost less. so i can make squares, photograph them, then make a card up with the photo etc and file it.......cool

it just seemed a waste to keep making samples and not use them....you know?

Make them out of cotton and use them for washcloths/kitchen clean-up cloths, or sew 2 back-to-back for hot pads. Take pics and attach to the pattern if you want, or make notes on the pattern perhaps.

Back in the olden days they used to make sample scrapbooks, but I think that was more for thready things.

I have a friend that puts all of her swatchs on a sheet of paper with the hook size, pattern used and a photo of the finished project and name of person she gave it to and the date started and finished then puts them into sheet protectors and into a large binder:hook:hook

Archived