Why, Why, Why?

wrenlover

Please tell me why you can find 8+ knitting magazines at a time on news stands and your lucky to find just one (you don't already have) crochet magazine?? I have had subscriptions to a few crochet magazines but only rarely see any on the actual news stand. Where do you all find yours? I end up buying more books than magazines, although the magazines seem to have more of a variety of projects.

Lisa

and of course its a common misconception that crocheters are not willing to spend the money on yarn that knitters are..

i find this very amusing ...

:blinkI don't understand that at all. I read more threads about "Well, I just couldn't help myself and I splurged a little bit today..." than anything else here. :lol

I already spend plenty on yarn, specialty and the good ol' tried and true.

However, if I found more patterns to my liking I'd spend even more (my husband just sighed). I wish I could come up with some of my own patterns for things. I am still at the mercy of other designers for now. Someone needs to stand up and take notice of crocheters and what we want too!

Lisa

Please tell me why you can find 8+ knitting magazines at a time on news stands and your lucky to find just one (you don't already have) crochet magazine?? I have had subscriptions to a few crochet magazines but only rarely see any on the actual news stand. Where do you all find yours? I end up buying more books than magazines, although the magazines seem to have more of a variety of projects.

Lisa

Actually, I have found and purchased several crochet magazines (Crochet, Crochet Fantasy, Magic Crochet) at the local grocery store. I've also seen them at the base exchange. I see Interweave Knits and Family Circle Knitting at the grocery store too. Our local Borders carries several knitting magazines including one British one but also has 2 or 3 crochet titles.

I think what you have to do is talk to the owner of the magazine stand where you purchase your magazines and let him or her know you'd like to see crochet titles.

I think you'll see more crochet magazines as more "hip" crochet books are published -- and if you look on Amazon you'll see that more are on schedule for publication. (The author of S and B and S and B Nation is publishing a S and B book for crochet.)

I've actually preferred most of the books that I have found to the magazines, Some of the crochet magazines are a bit dowdy, you have to admit, although I really liked the most recent Crochet magazine.

and of course its a common misconception that crocheters are not willing to spend the money on yarn that knitters are..

i find this very amusing ...

Especially considering that crochet uses about 30% more yarn than knitting does. We use more, spend more... and I have no problem admitting that I love the feel of a quality yarn in my fingers!

Especially considering that crochet uses about 30% more yarn than knitting does. We use more, spend more... and I have no problem admitting that I love the feel of a quality yarn in my fingers!

I do knit and spend time reading the knitting forums as well and I do think that knitters are a bit "snobbier" about their yarn. (Or the yarn snobs are a bit more vocal anyway.) I do personally prefer using as high a quality yarn as I can, both for knitting and crocheting. I prefer natural fibers to acrylic. I also have a difficult time finding colors I truly love at places like Michael's and JoAnn's, where there seems to be an abundance of pastel pinks, blues, greens and yellows.

But I do think that ultimately I'd rather knit and crochet, even if I have to use cheaper yarns. I figure that I'm still learning how to knit and crochet and developing my skills and so it's best to practice on less expensive yarns before I invest in more expensive yarns.

But I do have to say that if you admit to using Red Heart or even Lion Brand on some of the knitting forums, you'll sometimes get some rude remarks about how you could possibly even stand to use those dreadful acrylic yarns. Crocheters don't seem to worry about the yarn other people use too much.

Anyway, I do think there's some truth to the idea that marketers (at least) think they'll sell more yarn by sponsoring the knitting magazines.

I also think you'll see this change as the hip crochet books hit the bookstores.

Also I think that a lot of knitters will start doing more crochet as well.

I do knit and spend time reading the knitting forums as well and I do think that knitters are a bit "snobbier" about their yarn. (Or the yarn snobs are a bit more vocal anyway.) I do personally prefer using as high a quality yarn as I can, both for knitting and crocheting. I prefer natural fibers to acrylic. I also have a difficult time finding colors I truly love at places like Michael's and JoAnn's, where there seems to be an abundance of pastel pinks, blues, greens and yellows.

But I do have to say that if you admit to using Red Heart or even Lion Brand on some of the knitting forums, you'll sometimes get some rude remarks about how you could possibly even stand to use those dreadful acrylic yarns. Crocheters don't seem to worry about the yarn other people use too much.

I agree, origami. I've just taught myself to knit and have found the knitting communities to be more uptight in general, not that crocheters don't have our share of snobs.

Michaels & JoAnn's are pretty much the only craft stores here in Southern California, and I too have had a difficult time finding nice yarn in colors I appreciate. I do have an LYS that is wonderful, but I always walk in wondering why a 2 oz. ball costs $10.99?

Surely there's a way to make high quality yarn that isn't going to break the bank. I know of many a crocheter and knitter who would thank their lucky stars and break out the credit cards!!! :lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wonders "where are the crochet magazines"! I get two magazines by mail and don't even bother looking in stores anymore.

It's the same issue with books. There's an "independent" bookstore in downtown Denver that has (I'm not joking) maybe 10 crochet books and over 3 SHELVES FULL of knitting books! I've thought about complaining, but I just walk down the street to Barnes & Noble, or go online at bn.com and find whatever I need. :heehee

I'm not sure why knitting became so "sexy" and crochet is still the ugly stepsister. As you've all mentioned, there are waaay more crocheters and we use lots of yarn!

Glad to know that there's an S and B crochet book on the way! I think a lot of the new crochet books are just awesome.

:bounce

Hilarie

I rarely find any magazines for crochet in the stores anymore. If I am lucky I can get the Family Circle ones or the Better Homes and Garden ones that come out twice a year and once and awhile I find a Crochet World , but that's rare. I finally gave up and now subscribe to Crochet, Annie's Favorite Crochet, Hooked on Crochet and Crochet Fantasy. I am going to drop Crochet Fantasy and get Crochet World instead , I don't care for the new Crochet Fantasy magazine and the price is too much for me. I get my magazines thru : http://www.magazinepricesearch.com/index.html . They find the best deals for them and I haven't had any problems at all. I get all my magazines from them and my husband's and son's as well.

Wendyb532:manyheart

I just today saw Crochet! in my JoAnn's. Now I know it's not a huge imporvement but I was impressed. Seems like a step forward at the very least.

I think yarn is a personal thing as well as an economical thing is some cases.

Certainly "Red Heart and Lionbrand" is a practical choice for someone making an afghan for someone who will use it everyday and wash it often. I would not choose something expensive. If I was making an heirloom afghan for a newlywed couple I may choose a better (not guaranteed durable) yarn for looks and softness. I think cost is a tremedous factor in our choice of yarn. I've seen so many choices of yarns in our local Ben Franklin some at $12.00+ dollars a skein (less than 8 ounces), no way am I making an afghan for my 16 year old daughter with that. When she gets older and can appreciate it more, then I'll use it. I think knitting lends it self to clothing (less bulky) due to the stitches they can acheive, thus using softer, more unique yarns. I'm just sayin...

Lisa

Archived