help with pattern (Lapel Jacket - Bernat Softee Baby)

Saraloub

Question

I am using a Bernat Softee Baby pattern called Lapel Jacket that is driving me crazy. I am a beginner/intermediate crocheter, but this just doesn't make sense to me. Some of their patterns have diagrams, but of course the one that is most confusing doesn't. Has anyone ever used this? It is supposed to be one piece, but for the life of me, I can't "see" the pattern in my head and have tried drawing it out with their instructions. Thanks if you can help:help

15 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

you are starting at one sleeve cuff and crocheting across the sleeve and body to the other sleeve, ending at the second cuff. i found a knitting pattern that has a schematic that basically shows the shape you are making http://www.thinkingknitter.com/BabyPatt.htm

Hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

you are starting at one sleeve cuff and crocheting across the sleeve and body to the other sleeve, ending at the second cuff. i found a knitting pattern that has a schematic that basically shows the shape you are making http://www.thinkingknitter.com/BabyPatt.htm

Thank you so much. I have to have something to look at. Left brain, right brain thing I guess. I don't know which side needs help, but thank you so much for your quick reply.:cheerSara

It is that one. I thought Kathy's helpful diagram would help, but it is a different format.

I started right, I think with cuff, then it spreads out to a T after 5 inches, but I am really confused about shape back and shape left front. I know if I could see a pattern it would make sense to me. Thank you for your reply. Sara

once you get the T shape started, you do 10 rows which are going all the way from the bottom edge of front to the bottom edge of back. then you work over only 50 sts for 19 rows, which forms the main part of the back. then you stop working on this portion. then you join your new yarn where you started the part of 50 sts, and you work 10 rows on the 50 sts you left hanging before, and this forms the left front. you end off at the end of this. so now you have one piece that includes the left sleeve, main part of the back and the the left front. in the schematic i linked to this would be pieces 5, 4, and most of 2. referring to the schematic, first you make piece 5 (the sleeve), then you chain to extend your work for the side edges of piece 4 and 2, then you work even on these for 10 rows. then where the neck opening is, you separate your work by working first on 50 sts and then on the other 50 sts. does that make any sense at all?

Honestly, in my opinion, there are tons of baby jacket patterns out there, and you might prefer a different one. i have not made it, but many people have posted about the Baby it's Cold Outside pattern being a good one. http://crochetme.com/media/p/88283.aspx

the Bernat one could have been written to make it much easier to visualize and understand. or they could have included a SCHEMATIC or illustrations!!!!! :angry i get very aggravated with patterns that make things harder than they need to be, and in my opinion this one does that. Sorry for yelling:blush

Don't apologize for yelling. I have been yelling at this darn pattern. I thought it was so cute and looked easy, but the amount of time I have wasted trying to figure out what the heck?, I could have finished if they had included a diagram. Thank you for the explanation. I think I will take a peek at that other link you sent tho' just in case. I appreciate your help. Sara

Hi Sara. I was having a problem with this pattern also. I just made two sides and connected them in them in the back. I saw your question last week and followed the suggested given you and then figured out what I was doing wrong. Since then I haven't had a problem. I do work the pattern in one color though. My problem was connecting the separate rows crocheted. I just connected to end of row with hdc and continue across until end ch two turn and continue with pattern.

I am using a Bernat Softee Baby pattern called Lapel Jacket that is driving me crazy. I am a beginner/intermediate crocheter, but this just doesn't make sense to me. Some of their patterns have diagrams, but of course the one that is most confusing doesn't. Has anyone ever used this? It is supposed to be one piece, but for the life of me, I can't "see" the pattern in my head and have tried drawing it out with their instructions. Thanks if you can help:help

Dear Magic Crochet Fan,

I am working on the Bernat SOftee Baby Lapel Jacket (crochet) also, it too is driving me nuts, thank you for your diagram and detailed explanation. I think I have it now, I'm not finished but I feel like it's making sense now! I'll let you know.

Thanks so much for your diagram and detailed post. Kelli Crochets

Having a really hard time with this pattern!!! I am a leftie...after reading through the helpful advice I'm thinking I need to reverse the pattern i.e., what the pattern calls the back is the front for me)...any advice?

I dont think you have to reverse it. There really is no right/ wrong side to the fabric, which in my mind would be the only reason to reverse the pattern.

I dont think you have to reverse it. There really is no right/ wrong side to the fabric, which in my mind would be the only reason to reverse the pattern.

with the help of my mom..I am on the right track. I was making it seem harder than it needed to be and in turn, confused myself..and you're right I don't need to reverse it. Thanks for the reply :)

Hi there crochet people. This pattern looked so easy but it is a nightmare, lol. My  question is, after completing shape left front and you do the 10 rows, it says to fasten off. Then to shape right front, it asks you to chain 52 etc. Do you do this separate or where do you join and chain the 52? As it is worked on one piece? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bonnie

https://www.yarnspirations.com/bernat-lapel-jacket/BRC0233-006263M.html  This pattern, right?  

It's too bad this pattern didn't have a schematic, but most cuff-to-cuff things are made like a plus sign.  This is not your pattern obviously, but it might help you imagine what you are doing in a generic way- the main difference in the shape is your item doesn't have cuffs at the ends of the sleeves:  https://www.mooglyblog.com/cuff-to-cuff-colorblock-cardigan/  In that schematic, A is the back hem, the 2 Cs are the fronts separated by the front opening, and the 2 Es are the sleeves - ignore the little cuff rectangles.

So, the sweater is not made 'literally' in 1 piece of continuous yarn, but it ends up becoming 1 piece without seaming by making 1 part, and re-attaching the yarn in another spot to continue crocheting the solid fabric.  The only seam(s) you have to make is when you fold the plus sign together across the tops of the arms (so now it's T shaped), and sewing 2 L shaped seams: 1 from from each side's underarm all the way to the bottom hem.

When I say sewing the seams, you could also crochet (sc or slip stitch) the seams together, just make sure both seams end up on the same 'wrong side' of the garment.