Knit to crochet question

Could someone please help me figure out what crochet stitch I would use in place of a Knit garter stitch?

I am trying to make a knit sweater but have no idea how to knit. I found instructions on ehow to convert but there was no instructions for garter.

Thank you ahead of time.

if you have a method for stockinette stitch, you should be able to use that, as garter stitch is not very different as far as the size of the stitches. garter stitch has ridges across it http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-knit-the-garter-stitch.html and stockinette does not have ridges http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-knit-the-stockinette-stitch.html

Well, if you want my opinion on the idea of substituting crochet stitches for knit stitches in a knitting pattern....sorry, :( but I don't think it is very workable. If the pattern you want to replicate has a good schematic, you could crochet pieces to those measurements. But knit fabric behaves differently than crocheted fabric, and the individual stitches are certainly different, so I don't see how you can substitute one for the other. I agree with you, a treble doesn't resemble 6 rows of stockinette.

It seems like there was a recent thread about this subject, and somebody posted they had had some success with a method from a book, so you might search for that.

What pattern are you wanting to do?

Definitely try 'knooking' which is knitting with a hook. Sooooo easy for those of us the just can't get the hang of needles! If you are on ravelry, there is a group 'knooking'

there is a knitting class here starting in a few days, by Kim Guzman--her classes are very good.

is this the pattern? http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cYarn.yarnDetail&yarnid=000204&searchcollection=000011&pattern_id=001343#pattern-tab

it looks like a pretty simple baby sweater. I bet there is a similar crocheted pattern out there. or, does the pattern have a schematic? if so just crochet the pieces to the schematic and sew them together.

yeah thats the pattern. I want to make it look as similar to that as possible. I can't come to your knitting class as I live in Michigan - too far to drive, but thanks for the offer.

I have the book knit1, purl 2 in Crochet by Bendy Carter, who is a member here.

Now acording to this book, in order to do a knit stitch, you have your yarn to the back and do a normal crochet stitch (front to back) to purl you put your yarn to the front and insert your hook from back to front.

I hope this helps.:knit

I have the book knit1, purl 2 in Crochet by Bendy Carter, who is a member here.

Now acording to this book, in order to do a knit stitch, you have your yarn to the back and do a normal crochet stitch (front to back) to purl you put your yarn to the front and insert your hook from back to front.

I hope this helps.:knit

Interesting. I haven't got the book but thought about purchasing it. I think I will do that today. Does the book state how many crochet per rows of knit or purl? The instructions from ehow stated to do 1 row crochet for 3 knit/purl, is this correct?

yeah thats the pattern. I want to make it look as similar to that as possible. I can't come to your knitting class as I live in Michigan - too far to drive, but thanks for the offer.

Sorry, when I said Kim's class is "here", I meant online here at Crochetville--no farther away than your computer;)

You won't be able to easlily use Bendy's book to follow a knitting pattern. As Kathy said, the drape/behavior of knitted fabric is very different. I have the book, you have to use a huge hook with worsted weight, and it is very dense. It looks like knitting, but not the same scale or drape.

I am re-learning knitting after dropping it 40 years ago for crochet, and did a little swatch experiment. With size 10 (6mm) needles (same as a J hook) I made a nice, drapey swatch in stockinette. Using a F hook (3.75 or 4mm depending on which chart you look at) and #2 sock weight yarn, I came close to the stitch gauge in sc but it was much stiffer.

I tried knooking but am actually finding the knitting easier (after discovering Norwegian purl). And, unless I am wonky knooker, my gauge with a makeshift I knook was WAY bigger than with the size 10 needle. So knooking might work for you but you may have to reduce hook size to hit the knitting gauge on larger mm needles.

Long story to say you really have to redesign the whole piece, and go down a few notches with the size of your fiber to duplicate the knit piece with crochet.

Long story to say you really have to redesign the whole piece, and go down a few notches with the size of your fiber to duplicate the knit piece with crochet.

It's very interesting to me to compare the fabric i can make with knitting and with crocheting. I think it would be cool to make a top with a knitted stockinette body in worsted, and then do the sleeves and maybe yoke in a sock yarn or some light weight yarn in lacy crochet. I think that's about the wieghts i would need to have it look balanced. Just have to find yarn in one color in both weights:lol

Hmm. . . so possibly pick up knitting as another craft for back up! I will have to practice some knitting. Only problem is that I have really LONG knitting needles which probably are not necessary for this project. I do have the required needle sizes for the project, which amazed me as I have at least 30 crochet hooks and about 5 sets of needles. I will probably check out the knooking. Never heard of that before until it was mentioned here. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Okay, I am making small progress on this project and came across another question. Do I keep threading the holding cord through each row (letting the last row loose from the holding cord ) or keep threading that through all rows and take it all out at the end - if that is even possible???

The thread is the second 'needle'. Once you have finished knooking row 2, you can pull the cord out of row 1. Then the cord will be holding row 2 as you start row 3. Another way to look at it, the cord holds only the stitches you are working into.

You can order 'the amazing needle' in different hook sizes.

http://www.amazingyarn.com/Pages/amneedle.html

On the Ravelry knooking thread there are some folks who have shaved the ends of wooden hooks at an angle and added a hole for a homemade knook...

• 2 weeks later...
Could someone please help me figure out what crochet stitch I would use in place of a Knit garter stitch?

I am trying to make a knit sweater but have no idea how to knit. I found instructions on ehow to convert but there was no instructions for garter.

Thank you ahead of time.

I haven't read all the messages, so perhaps your question is answered already. Essentially in knitting, you go in thru the front (left side of the right leg of the stitch, or dead center from the front) for a knit stitch, and in thru the back (right side of the right leg of the stitch or from the back) for a purl stitch.

Garter stitch is going in thru the front on every row, but you turn your work. So to knit with a crochet hook and to do garter (amongst other ways to execute this), you would simply turn your work and do your "knit" stitch with the "crochet" hook.

Best,

Susan Reishus

Archived