"Heirloom Throw" truly is...

an heirloom. The 'ghan featured on the back cover of the April 2010 Crochet World, is one I'm very familiar with. I grew up with it.

It originally belonged to my late grandmother, who when she moved from her townhouse to a smaller place, gave my folks her sleepersofa and the afghan that covered it. (Yes, the ghan she made covers a large (queen size?) sleeper sofa.) After she passed, I received a couple of her books, one an old "encyclopedia of knitting and crochet stitches"...both were along that theme, a collection of stitches with a couple of patterns. In one, is this same pattern, the one she used--her notes and all--, to make the ghan I quite literally sat on and snuggled in. Nanny, as we called her, was primarily a knitter, and I have a few pieces of that myself (my favorite is a blanket she knit for me as a baby). This was one of the few items she actually crocheted, and it is a well loved afghan. And now the lovely pattern is revived and made available again. She was definitely a skilled artist in both formats.

How neat to see something I grew up with in my house, featured on a current issue mag. :)

That is such a sweet story, thanks for sharing. My kids called my Mom, Nanny. We use to joke, there is nothing like a Nanny's love or afghan hug!

Thanks much, Granny Square! It is a really pretty one. and I like the fact that they have a nice close up photo to show the detail. How neat that they are reviving some old patterns:hook

Archived