commercial air travel, crochet hooks, knitting needles

Can anyone tell me if crochet hooks and/or knitting needles are allowed on commercial airplane flights? I did some checking and it looks like short wooden knitting needles and plastic crochet hooks were allowed in 2008. I couldn't find anything more recent.

I can pack them in my checked luggage if I have to, but I would really love to use the time waiting in the airport and sitting on the plane to work on a small project.

Look at the FAA rulings website. From what I can tell, the only thing not allowed is the round cutters because they have a sealed blade inside.

Also, just carry with you the needle or hooks you need on board. Put your really good ones in your checked luggage. And carry a large self-addressed, stamped envelope, just in case some security guard takes them away. You can mail them home.

Don't carry really good needles, like Signatures, because if they are taken away, you would really cry.

But I have flown with a bunch of crochet with me and I've never had a problem. As long as there is yarn with the needles, they know it's for a project. I did pick up a cheap pair of kiddie scissors for traveling, so if they were taken away from me, I wouldn't really care.

Good luck and I hope I helped.

:manyheart

I have flown both internationally and domestic the past couple years without any problems about my aluminum crochet hooks. I carry a small nail clipper instead of scissors for cutting yarn. No problem with that either.

Have fun!

:hookColleen

I fly a fair bit both domestically and internationally, and lately have taken to always having a project with me. I have taken aluminum crochet hooks and wooden double pointed needles and not had any problems. I also take the scissors that fold up on themselves, and haven't had any problems.

If you look on TSA's website, you will see the length of blade that you are and are not allowed to carry in addition to some other items that are not permitted (box cutters, firearms, etc.) Their website is

http://www.tsa.gov

Like someone else suggested, to be on the safe side I would not take any favorites, and what also might be a good idea is if the needles/hook is attached to a project. Usually I start a sock before leaving (my favorite travel project because it is so small), so my double pointed needles are in the sock, and it is pretty obvious what they are for.

You may still run into a difficult TSA person, though even when I flew over Christmas, they were very courteous and were not trying to confiscate things, and I flew in and out of two major airports. So, I think the likelihood of them taking anything unless it is in violation is pretty slim. Even when I flew out of Paris last summer, I didn't have any problems.

And as an aside, I was not the only knitter/crocheter on my flight, so obviously other people weren't having any difficulties either.

I flew just last week and I had my full crochet bag with me, minus the scissors. No problem at all and I had about 15 different hooks and crochet needles with me. You shouldn't have any problem at all.

I flew just last week and I had my full crochet bag with me, minus the scissors. No problem at all and I had about 15 different hooks and crochet needles with me. You shouldn't have any problem at all.

It really just depends on the individual who is screening you.

I flew to Miami for christmas and only had carry on luggage. I had a steel hook and my cotton for a doily I was working on. I stuck the hook into the ball of thread and no one stopped me. I did take a hook that I would not cry if they took it away. My husband had built the handle up so it was easier to hold for me. They did not even look twice on the xray.

I just read about this earlier today because I was curious before I left. TSA says knitting needles and crochet hooks are permittable in your carryon, however circular cutters and scissors are not. I've never had any problems in the past, but you never know who you might get when you go through security.

I always wounderd that too... esp since I want to go visit family back in ny and May if I concour my fear nd if it's cheeper fly home.. but i'd want something to do while on a plane, but if it were me i'd go spend lil on a set of plastic hooks, so if it got taken away I'd not care beacuse it wont be my good hooks.. as if i had my good hooks taken away i'd be the one to complain lol.

Another idea. Pick up a cheap pair of kid scissors. Just something to cut your yarn if you need to. And if they are taken away, it's no big deal.

When I flew to Tennessee when my dad was really sick, I picked up a pair for 60 cents and I figured if they were taken away, I wouldn't care at all. And I didn't have any problems. But you never know.

The TSA is just trying to protect the people on the aircraft. Not trying to be mean, etc. So just fly with what you really need, not your whole stash of needles and hooks. And try to be in their shoes. After 9/11, we all just have to be more careful.

Last time I flew I was sitting by an FBI agent who was knitting socks...She told me she always checks the TSA guideline for the airport she is traveling from before,she brings her stuff...All I had was a Stephen King Book(which was Okay,but I could've been crocheting)

I travel across Canada often on business and I can tell you every major airport's security is different. I've had items confiscated at some airports that I took with me through others on that same trip. My advice is like the others, carry on only those hooks you can part with or can mail home, check the rest.

Archived